Do you think the government has too much say in our lives?

Like, we have to wear a seatbelt or else we'll get a ticket. I realize that's a safety issure, but isn't that more of a person's choice too?

And you can no longer smoke even near a building you have to be 20 feet away. They decide what we can watch and hear on television and radio. They decide who gets health care and who doesn't. It seems like we no longer have the ability to make responsible choices for ourselves. The government has to baby us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• duh! welcome to AmeriKa
    Anonymous

• Yes and its only going to get worse.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 3:17 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Yes your freedom gets more limited everyday.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:18 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Yes, I think they have far too much say in our lives.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:21 PM on May. 26, 2010

• According to a liberal known to the family, the individual is subordinate to the society. This means that the gov has to intervene and tell you how to do everything, so that no one is any better off than anybody else. Can't wait for a new leader, who will undoubtedly chuck some of this nonsense to the trash pile it belongs in.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:29 PM on May. 26, 2010

• okay yes and no.. to educated people who live wisely to begin with - no - like me... i would have my kid in a carseat legal or not... i would wear my own seatbelt and make ppl in my car do it to - legal or not... so we are just protecting the idiots from themselves.. maybe we shouldnt and there would be less mouths to feed ... idk... really i dont.. i cannot say there has been a law made in my state that i dont already follow out of common sense and will to live...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:52 PM on May. 26, 2010

• to educated people who live wisely to begin with - no - like me

Just because you are educated that doesn't mean you live wisely. You are only doing what society tells you to do, you're not allowing yourself to be whoever you want to be because you're so worried about what everyone else thinks. Fuck what everyone else thinks!
    Anonymous

• I personally think if people want to kill themselves, let them.  It is NOT the government's job to protect us from ourselves, it is the government's job to protect us from outside sources.  Now I agree with children being in seat belts and car seats, that I can agree on.  But to go as far as in the near future what we can and can't eat.  There is a difference in education people and prohibiting people from things.

Anonymous

• That's one of the reasons I'm pro-choice. I don't want the gov't telling me what to do with my body. :)
    Anonymous

• Simply enough .... HELL YES
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:50 PM on May. 26, 2010