Are you a hoarder or do you know one?

I watch the show Hoarders sometimes, and it's pretty crazy. Then I just read this story on Fox:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,593564,00.html?test=latestnews

I feel really bad for these people who have this disorder that causes them to hoard everything. Honestly, are you a hoarder or do you know one? I have never known any that bad but some to an extent. I do not hoard anything lol, I get rid of everything I can't find a purpose for immediately. I'm just curious how many hoarders are really out there.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:58 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Nope but I was a home health aide for a couple years and went into many a home of hoarders. It's more common than you'd think and some are disgusting. This one lady hoarded food....yea, it was pretty gross! I cleaned out her fridge and she had food that was 4 years expired and when I threw it away she was pissed at me for throwing all her food away. I threw a bag of baby carrots away that had liquified..Nasty!!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:16 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Less is more. It is a sad situation though.
    Anonymous

• i'm not a hoarder but I do have trouble letting go of some things, most of which I really just don't need anymore, like my college notes from classes. I wanted to keep them thinking oneday I'd enjoy relearning some things for my own knowledge. They have been in the same boxes for years and some even have dust.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:01 PM on May. 26, 2010

• For some people it may be difficult to part from things that have a sentimental value.
    Anonymous

• Yes I am but not as bad as they are. I rent so I have to have annual inspections which means I can't let it get too bad so I have learned how to organize my stuff. If it's hidden it doesn't look so bad to others!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:13 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I am married to one. He is in therapy
    Anonymous

• I am friends with someone I think is starting to become one. She never gets rid of anything. I have recently talked her into getting rid of some of her kid's clothes by taking them to a consignment shop. She has been talking about doing a garage sale but never gets around to it and seems to get overwhelmed at the thought of getting rid of things. She has one room in her house that you can't even walk through. She is going through a divorce and will most likely lose a lot of money and have to downgrade big time in living conditions (at least a couple thousand square feet), so I don't know if this is a symptom of not wanting to lose everything or if it's really about hoarding. I don't know at what point one becomes the other.

Anonymous

• My dad is a boarder-line hoarder. He will buy an entire box of calculators from Menards just because they were on sale and someone might need one someday. He keeps everything, even empty boxes, and he sorts them by size and usefulness in his shop. My sister and I have discussed what we're going to do when my parents pass away. My mom also hoards anything related to sewing. She has about 20 shoeboxes full of buttons.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:53 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My grandma is a hoarder. She has 1 house full and she cant even live in it anymore. She moved into her sons house and is filling it up now. She saves all butter and coolwhip type bowls, buys lots of cups from thrift store. Nothing we can really do about it except clean it up after she dies. It is really sad!! She had alot of anxiety and i think the stuff is comforting to her.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:16 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Wow when you brought that up, worriedmommy600, I remembered when I used to work as an elderly care companion, I went into this one lady's house and they told me to clean out her refrigerator because she liked to keep bad food in it. She had MOLDY old food and I threw it out and she got so mad. And she had something molded in an old plastic container, not even like a rubbermaid but just an old butter tub or something, and she had me wash out the tub after i emptied the food from it because she didn't want to get rid of it. There was also an elderly man who had collected stacks and stacks of newspapers, magazines, and books for years and they were all over the living room. We were not allowed to move them either. But still nothing like the elderly people in that article. I am so happy to have read though that they are recuperating in a hospital.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:55 PM on May. 26, 2010