Daughter having trouble with BM's while potty training

My almost 3-year old has been potty training for 4+ weeks. She would not poopy in the potty at all & her body would eliminate BM's during her sleep. She has had a handful of successful poopies but not with any consistancy. She has always been a bit consitpated & slow with her BM's.

I have been giving her a small amount of MiraLax & just upped her dose a bit this morning. I tried to give her prunes, that went over like a lead balloon. I have upped her fiber intake & given her more fresh fruit.

She gets very frustrated when I ask her to try to poop. She tells me "its too hard, I all done". I have tried reading books with her on the potty. Skittles, M&M's and sitckers are not motivating her. I don't want to fight her over this & make BM's a traumatic experience. But I feel like she is scared or it has been somehwhat painful & now she is holding her poop.

Any ideas or sugestions??

juliemoose

Asked by juliemoose at 4:01 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• For some strange reason little ones have a hard time pooping in the potty chair for the first time. My daughter used to cry and say I need my diaper, I need my diaper. Finally one day I held her down and the chair and said no, you need to do it here. She didn't want to and cried but finally she did it. Then after that she never had a problem again.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:05 PM on May. 26, 2010

• similar boat. my son is a bit younger and we havent been potty training as long, but my son refuses to poop in the potty. if he just has to pee, he'll go no problem, if he has to poop he will deny having to go, then 5 minutes or so later go in his underwear. The only advice i have received for my situation is that that muscle is a different feeling than for urinating and takes time to get used to the feeling of having to go. sorry if I wasnt much help
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:08 PM on May. 26, 2010

• No milk; only water to drink.
    No simple/white grains; only whole grains
    Lots of fruits and vegetables.
    Cut way back on meat
    Add legumes

Answer by rkoloms at 4:42 PM on May. 26, 2010