What vision insurance do you have?

We are military but contacts are not covered by our plan. I just got my new prescription and it will cost $530 a year to get them! I checked Sears, Walmart, 1800 contacts and some other places but it only makes a $1-$5 difference. I am looking at different plans but I am nervous to jump in without hearing stories from people who have experience with these companies.

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 4:03 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Health

• we have kaiser...copay of 20 bucks
    but that all depends on how much you pay to your insurance..some ppl pay more, some less
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:06 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My husband is self employed so we don't have any vision or dental or any of that. A couple of years ago I went for an exam and found out I was going to have to switch to an insanely expensive contact lens because my astigmatism had gotten so bad. (They curled up and burned too) I ended up getting LASIK done for $3300, which was the price of a couple of years' worth of glasses, contacts, and solutions. My husband had his eyes done right after me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:07 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Lasik...hmm that is a good thought. How do you feel now? Are there any long term risks? I might look into that if I will be paying this much for contacts each year. I have astigmatisms but I didn't know could get worse. bummer.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 4:17 PM on May. 26, 2010

• We had ours done in December 2007. I had a really strong prescription, and my husband had a much lighter one. We both see better than 20/20 now. I had a lot of irritation at first, but within a few days, I could see things that I NEVER saw with contacts or glasses, like the rock texture when I look up at the mountains. It is incredible, and I'm really glad I did it. Long term, my eyes will age the same as a person who never needed glasses, so I may need reading glasses when I'm in my 50s or 60s.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:22 PM on May. 26, 2010