Which is better, an actual roasting chicken or the regular whole chicken?

I know it's kind of weird, but I want to make a roast chicken for dinner. At Kroger, I see two type of whole chicken. One is a more expensive "roaster chicken" that apart from the price, is almost always about 5-7 pounds. The other is a cheaper whole chicken without the fancy title and is about 2-3 pounds and maybe about 88 cents a pound (when on sale). So which one is better for making a delicious roast chicken?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 4:24 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• They taste the same to me!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:31 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My grandmother excellent cook said the difference is a roasting chicken is a hen make great dressing because of it's broth and it's juicier not that good if you fried.. A whole chicken is a fryer. You can cook a fwhole chicken several different ways. Good to fry.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 4:49 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Roasting chickens are generally a few weeks older when they are butchered. They have the time to develop more meat, and you'll get more meat from a roaster than you would a whole chicken that weighs less.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:38 PM on May. 26, 2010

• A chicken is a chicken is a chicken. Whether it's a scrawny 5lb or a mammoth 15lb (yes, we've had huge chickens, from a farmer!). They all taste the same, really.
    Anonymous