When your child throws fit in the store, do you...

Take them aside and calm them down and if they dont calm down leave or try to comfort them with items or food? I personally take my son (he is almost 3) aside and ask him if he would like to continue shopping without crying (it's usually a yes) or we just leave. I cant stand these parents that just pop pacifiers in their mouths or give them whatever they want just so the parent can keep doing what they want to do! Ever think about what you child wants?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know what you mean, but when my kids were small they were perfect little angels outside the house, it was when we got home that problems arose, but never a tamtrum.

Answer by older at 4:51 PM on May. 26, 2010

• How about what I HAVE to do. If I do not go food shopping because my child said she did not want to, we wouldn't have food in the house. Did you ever think that we are parents for a reason. WE MAKE THE RULES NOT THE CHILD!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:57 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My 2 little girls are angels when We shop but if and when my daughter acts up, her dad will take her outside and sit in the car with her till she calms down. We are lucky we havent gotten to that point yet (knock on wood) lol
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 5:02 PM on May. 26, 2010

• If she throws a tantrum. She gets timeout right there in the store. I have spent many shopping trips reading the ingredients to a box of spagetti waiting on her to calm down during her timeout. I DO NOT leave the store as that is giving her the control and she does NOT get anything from the store...but she never gets anything from the store as a 'being good' reward. Going shopping is a priviledge all in itself.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:04 PM on May. 26, 2010

• It depends on the situation..how bad do I need what ever it is I am shopping for? What time of day it is?

There are a lot of things that come into play when I make a choice in a store.

"Ever think about what you child wants?"

I am not sure what this has to do with it, there are times in everyone's lives were we have to do things we don't want to do, and the same is true for children.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:04 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My son never threw a fit in the store except when he was a tiny baby and I either fed him or used the pacifier. But, he was 6 months and younger. After that, he knew how to act. If he did throw a fit, I would have gotten right in his face and informed him he better stop right this instance or he was getting a spanking.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:06 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Jade, I am so with you!!Why give my child control when I NEED to shop. My DD knows she will get in trouble and not get anything. Normally when she's good she gets a little something if she's bad she doesn't. I think as parents we should NOT cater to our children. Unless I HAVE to do something I do not expect my child to cater to me!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:07 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I say "where is your mother?" as I walk away...
    J/K my kids do not throw fits in the store..
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:20 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Its very rare that he acts up in a store because he knows the consequences. But if he does, I tell him calmly if he does not stop that he will get a spanking. Usually he stops, it he does not stop I follow through with a swat on the behind.
    Anonymous

• If my DD ever throws a fit it is because she wants to leave the store. She gets a warning to calm down and walk with mom. If she proceeds to act up and not listen she goes into the cart. If she continues to throw a fit, I ignore it and shop. I calmly say she may get out of the cart when she calms down and apologizes. It usually takes her 5 minutes if it happens.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:58 PM on May. 26, 2010