Anyone have any children who are above average on their hight and weight?

Yesterday was my baby's 5 mos check up and the doctor measured her and she weighed 20lbs and 5oz. She is also 27 inches long and the doctor was really stunned. My baby is fully breastfed only and I was wondering if there are any mothers who have big babies? or children.. should i be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest has been in the 95th percentile since he was born. It's nothing to worry about. He was 9lbs 5oz at birth and 22in long... By the time he was 5 months old he was 30lbs... But he's 4 now, and although he's still big for his age he's more than healthy. He's 47lbs and 3ft 8.3inches... He's healthy and strong... Don't worry about numbers so much, just make sure he's healthy.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:53 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Sorry, SHE... Make sure SHE is healthy and don't worry about the numbers so much!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:55 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My older son was an average baby but as he grew older, he was taller than all the kids in his grade he's 13 years old 6'3 and weighs about 237 lbs, perfectly healthy.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:02 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Heck, I was 23in long at birth. I quickly overcame that..LOL I am only 5'2" now.

My son was always 50%...now he is lucky to be 3%. He is tiny.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:03 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My DD was in the 98th %in height and 74th % in weight when she was born and as she gets older she continues to be taller than "average" for her age, but is leveling out. Last she was seen she was 74th% for height and 55th for weight. I am just saying your baby could level as they get older.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:18 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My son is a big guy.... he's always been off the charts for height and before he learned to crawl at the top of the chart for weight... but as soon as he was crawling and more so when he started walking the weight dropped off and he thinned out. He's still big... but not chunky... he's 31 lbs and 36.5 inches and he's 22 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:50 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My first child was always above 95% in height on the charts, but below 25% in weight. She's still that way.
    My second child was born 10 lbs and was very high on the charts for her weight until she learned to walk and run and then her weight melted right off. Her height has always been average. Today, she is an average height young lady who has a perfect weight with a perfect BMI.
    My third child began as average across the board and then began going down into the lower percentiles for her height as she grew older. Her weight is average for her age, but she looks chunky for her petite stature. She also has scoliosis, which makes the protrusion of one of her hips look more fleshy than the other and it bothers her very much because it looks like an odd muffin-top when she wears her skinny jeans. She hates being petite more than anything, though. I think she's adorable!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:13 PM on May. 29, 2010