breast feeding

My milk supply suddenly had a HUGE decrease I was getting only a few drops when I pump I have flat nipples so its hard for baby to latch on. Babys three months 3 weeks, and I still have milk when I squeeze my nipples, I really want to breast feed, can I re start my supply? Or is it just not meant to be? I couldnt brestfeed with my first child at all=*(.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• drink a lot of water
    try maybe messing with your nipples so they are a bit harder
    just keep trying, dont substitute with formula because you will deffinatly decrease
    Anonymous

• Make sure you are eating and drinking enough to maintain an adequate supply.

Try eating oatmeal. It helps increase your supply.

MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 4:52 PM on May. 26, 2010

• If I didn't substitute my child would starve to death.. I went from getting 6 ounces out of each breast each time I pumped to not even an ounce out of each? Nobody could or would tell me what to do except you tried thats all you can do... Its like ppl now days want you to formula feed... I dont.. I want to breast feed so bad its not fair=*(
    Anonymous

• If your child is still having at least 6 wet diapers a day and is gaining weight, then, you are making enough for her still. Maybe she doesn't need as much and your supply changed for her...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:59 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Are you breastfeeding or pumping and bottle feeding? The more you can actually the breastfeed the better. Spend as much time as you can skin to skin with your baby and encourage baby to nurse A LOT, like a few times an hour! If DH can take care of the house and other kids for a day or 2 so that you can do this for 24-48 hours that would be ideal, but even just a few hours a day of this will help.
    Nurse on both sides at least 2 times before giving formula.
    Gradually decrease the amount of formula as you increase the breastfeeding.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:36 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Have you been to an LC, or La Leche League? Both can help you nurse with flat nipples. Has anyone ever told you about breast shells? They are worn whenever NOT nursing, to draw the nipple out. Nursing directly is going to be your best bet, but you're going to need help and support. Don't be afraid to get it. We can help here, but only so much. Some of it is going to have to be more hands on.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:53 PM on May. 26, 2010

• "If I didn't substitute my child would starve to death.. I went from getting 6 ounces out of each breast each time I pumped to not even an ounce out of each? "

Oh, honey! What you pump means NOTHING! Put that baby to breast and dump the supplements. Six ounces per breast was crazy abnormal OVERSUPPLY. One ounce out of each is NORMAL.

Go put baby to breast. If you keep up the formula you will have a REAL problem. You don't have one at this moment. Drop by the breastfeeding Moms group for good info.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:05 PM on May. 26, 2010

• And I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier!

• FYI: NORMAL pump output is one half to two ounces TOTAL both breasts. And baby gets MORE at the breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:06 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Well that would make since gdiamante, because when I self express I get more milk out, and with the pump it's not seaming to get hardly anything at all. Only thing now is, is when baby latches on, baby gags? This is so crazy I feel like I'm at a total loss here. And to every one else I did have a LC I did try the shields. But I was told to do it while nursing my DD. And she didn't like it. This actually seems to be the hardest thing I've ever tried to do, and since I want it so bad it's so discouraging to me that its not working!!!
    Anonymous