What should I do? (weird question)

Ok, so this is an odd question and I wasn't sure where to put it, but I'm at my wit's end. Last Friday (just after midnight) someone started banging on my son's window. We looked all around and found nothing, but called the cops to patrol. It has happened again almost every night and only once was it another window besides my son's. We have a 1 story house and the kids' windows are in the front but nothing has happened to dd's. We have all the outside lights on, I've left inside lights on, and have had the cops patrol. My kids won't sleep in their rooms and I don't blame them, I'm afraid they'll get kidnapped from their beds. I thought about putting the video camera by the inside of the window and making it look like it's on (it doesn't work) in hopes that it will be a deterrent, but then I was afraid they might break the window to get it. What should I do? Set a booby trap? Sit on the porch all night? I just want it to stop!

summerleigh

Asked by summerleigh at 4:56 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Put spray paint down on the ground near the window where he has to step in it, then keep an eye/ear out for anyone around the neighborhood with painted shoes. We did this with our outside water spigot once and a teenager was walking around with red paint on his hands for a few days. Have your husband or someone you know sit outside in the car or something around the time he usually shows up with a camera to watch, if they see the person, have them take a picture.
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt set up a FAKE camera...I would set up a REAL camera and let the kids stay in bed with ME!!!

That sounds scary!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:58 PM on May. 26, 2010

• In addition to first poster I would have a security system installed to all the doors and windows as well.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:00 PM on May. 26, 2010

• It is scary and they have been sleeping in my room with the door locked. I would set up a real camera if I had one, but it's not working at the moment. It just pisses me off because we live in a nice neighborhood and shouldn't have to be scared every night.
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 5:01 PM on May. 26, 2010

• It's a grand mystery but it sounds more like a prank from a neighbor kid than anything to worry about. If you can afford to set up a camera it would sove the problem right away. If not, I'm all for setting up a stake out on the porch. Bring water balloons to pelt the perp with.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 5:03 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Did you actually see a PERSON? Or could it be something not so "lively" banging on your window??
    Anonymous

• u can have the motion sensor lights installed right outside ure son's (and daughter's for that matter) window. also u can get surveillance camera's from lowe's or home depot. some are even fake just disguised as real thing to keep away burglars. but i would recommend the real thing , with the light turning on at the motion of the person u might just catch his face or something.
    if all of this is still too scary for u then i think u should get alarm system installed, e.g. ADT, brinks etc... there are also some local security services which are relatively cheaper. we have window sensors also installed so when the alarm is on at night, and someone bangs on the windows or tries to break it, the alarm goes off, we got our installed a few months ago after experiencing a break in when we were out for the weekend.. after all safety comes first.
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 5:03 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Yes, the general consensus is that it's a teenager. My son said he saw a guy in a black hoodie the one time he looked. DH and I have ran outside and see nothing. It just freaks me out that he bangs really loudly pretty much only on my son's window. I mean there are a ton of sick pervs out there.
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 5:05 PM on May. 26, 2010

• how old is ure own son ?? are u sure its not some bully in his school trying to scare him at his own home premises as well ? do ask him if there is someone bullying him at school. because its weird that this guy is banging on ure son's window only, but not ure daughter's
    Anonymous

• No cameras needed. All you need is a sign that says "Smile! You're on camera. Recordings of any suspicious activity will be forwarded to the police." You'll never have another problem again. Hope this helps! :)
    Anonymous