How do I keep my 2week old awake?

We have an 18 1/2 month old on a GREAT schedule. Trying really hard to get the 2 week old on a similar schedule. I'm aware that they are two different children and that I shouldn't force a newborn to do anything, blah blah blah. It's better if children are on a schedule and ANY mom with more than one child will back me on that. Now the newborn does nap, (obviously), most of the day, and his day schedule is perfect... but at night he is awake some times 1-4 hours. I know that late night feedings are part of the job, but this is a matter of getting his days and nights swapped. Any advice? Please be nice!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he isn't ready yet, sorry. I would give him a couple more months and then worry about it. Right now he is probably on the schedule that he has been on for the last 7-8 months
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:10 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Limit interaction, sound and lighting at night. Make more interaction, noise and light during the day. Eventually, he will get it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:12 PM on May. 26, 2010

• save that for around 2-3months

get up in the middle of the night and feed your baby when he/she is hungry and then put him or her right back to sleep.
    some babies nurse every hour, some every 2, some every 3...mine did every 2 but then when I was done I would shutthe lights back off and put him to sleep again. have your husband help if its too hard.

i would bf then hand my baby to my SO and he would put him to sleep so ididnt have to be up all night
    utilize your partner

and your newborn will make the schedule for now, is its an inconvenience to you or not
    Anonymous

• thanks girls, I already do everything you've said though. my husband helps alot and I wouldn't make it without him. we do lots of lights and talking and songs and games during the day and we also have our first son. he's not just waking up for feedings, he's just UP UP UP and wants mommy holding him the whole time. and I'm not a night owl so he's not on the schedule that he was in utero. I really appreciate your attempts though, thank you for being nice
    Anonymous

• and I'm not a night owl so he's not on the schedule that he was in utero.

during the day we are moving around and they tend to sleep to the rocking motion of our bodies so at night when we sleep, they aren't being rocked and so are awake.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:21 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I understand how you may feel of wanting to get the newborn on a schedule now...that would be ideal for any of us moms! But the fact is, if a newborn is sleeping, you don't wake it. It grows during that time. It needs to sleep and it needs to wake up to eat and thats all there is to it. Give it some time, don't stress yourself out more than necessary trying to force something that isnt going to work.
    Anonymous

• "It's better if children are on a schedule and ANY mom with more than one child will back me on that." Well, I have 3 kids, the first 2 are 17 mos apart and I never had my kids on a strict schedule. This is too young to expect any kind of schedule and not being up at night. Keep encouraging baby to nurse as much as you can during the day, keep the lights off at night and try to limit interaction at night. Hang in there, it will come with some more time!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:42 PM on May. 26, 2010

• "It's better if children are on a schedule and ANY mom with more than one child will back me on that."

My grandmother wouldn't...and she had ten! **grin** "Follow the baby" was her advice..."baby knows best." And she was right...baby does know when she needs to sleep and to eat.

Hang in there. Baby WILL adjust to a schedule on her own. If you mess with it, you'll end up sleeping LESS.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:09 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Not ready yet. My baby was sleeping all night by 4 weeks though.So we just went to bed at the same time EVERYNIGHT until she got it.So far things have been great.naps and bed time are WAAAAAY easier then my 1st.i was dumb and didnt understand her lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:18 PM on May. 26, 2010

• just stick to a bedtime routine and keep interaction, noise and lights to a minimum at night. I know you said you are doing this already but that really is all you can do at this point. Hang in there, baby will get into a better routine soon! And don't wake your newborn unless it's to eat (some even say don't even wake for feedings but I did, especially during the day)
    Anonymous