Are there any single mothers out there who are going to college and working (& taking care of kids)? Support please!

I'm a newly single mother who just got out of an abusive relationship and I have 2 kids who are 1 and 6. I just decided I want to go back to school, but of course I will have to work too so I can pay for school, pay for bills, and support my kids. My question is, is there anyone out there who is doing all of the above and managing it ok? I got my associates degree 8 years ago but apparantly that's not good enough since I've been living paycheck to paycheck for the past 8 years. I feel like I could handle it all and I'm ready for a challenge but would like to get info or tips. Thanks!

andreab562

Asked by andreab562 at 5:14 PM on May. 26, 2010 in

• I work and go to school. You get used to it after awhile. Its all about time managment.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 5:16 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Yes. I'm not working but I am going to school. I have a baby due in July and I still plan on going to school in the Fall. I'll just be taking one class on campus on the rest online so I can be with my baby. We'll see how that works. I might just end up taking one class though because I know i'm gonna wanna devote more time to my baby than school. And I will also want to devote time to my studies but I'll feel guilty if I do. So we'll see.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:19 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I work 50 hours a week and have a 4 year old. I went to school part-time for one semester until I noticed how distant my DD was. She wasn't getting the attention and love she needed. Then again, I do work 50 hours a week which is too much by itself. I think you will be ok so long as your not away from them too much. Do online classes at night after they go to bed... GL
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 5:22 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Yes, I'm a single mom and have two daughters ages 10 and 12. I've been going to college for a few semesters, one semester I took them with me every evening and they did their homework in the college lab, which was right next to my class room. It was very difficult, not easy at all, just getting all of us ready for my class and out the door. Making sure they were fed, sometimes we'd stop at the market and pick up a few snacks so they could eat throughout the evening, usually class time was from 6 to 9:30, even 9:50 p.m., at times and my youngest was so cranky/tired at the end. On the other hand I received so many compliments on their behavior, they were never disruptive. But I couldn't handle another semester like that, so I'm taking on-line classes. But I still struggle with the guilt/concern am I spending enough time with them? Could I be maintaining the home better? I just try to balance/manage time as best for us.
    Kelly320

Answer by Kelly320 at 2:54 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I have done it, wasn't easy but nothing worth doing ever is. I was lucky enough to find an accelarated college program where each class lasted only a month. It was intense because we were still required to do a semester's worth of work within that timeframe. School became my second job, so to speak. When the kids went to bed, that's when I worked on homework.

It's about time management as a previous poster said and letting go of those things that really don't matter. It does become routine after awhile. If something is important to you, you'll make time for it and find a way to work it out. Make sure you have plenty of support - any family and friends that can help at all? If so, do not be afraid to ask for help. One person can't do it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on May. 29, 2010

• I work, go to school fulltime, do an internship and raise a 13 year old that is in baseball and bowling. I have a schedule planned out and follow it as much as possible. I do homework at baseball or bowling. I have my textbooks in the car with me and when I am delayed or waiting somewhere, I read. I rely on family and friends to help me out and I rely on my son to do what he needs also. I don't have very much freetime, but when I do I spend it with my son. He is very understanding that his mom needs to do this to make a better life for us. My ex (not my son's father) takes my son for me everyother weekend and whenever I need him to and that really helps. I have friends and support system when I am stressed or need someone to talk to.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:34 PM on May. 29, 2010

• Im a single mom, Im a teacher and I was (recently graduated) a full time graduate student working on my masters. I never took maternity leave from school. I took two weeks off when i had my daughter and went back to class when she was 3 weeks old. Its alot of hard work, its alot of time management and you are going to have to ask for help. I got up in the morning @5:30, drop my daughter at daycare, went to work, then left work and went to school. Someone ele picked her up. I got out of class at 8pm, went and picked my daughter, went home, ate, showered and put her to bed. I tried to get some homework done and went to bed. My weekends consisted of school work, my lunch break consisted of school work. I had to put myself on a cleaning schedule, one room a day. It even got to a point where i had to not see her 3 days a week just to make it work. I dont regret it, it was worth it. Its hard but it can work. GL
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• Oh and her dad was absolutely no help. I live in a state with no family so I relied on friends and his family for alot of help. My friends would watch my daughter at my house some nights and his sister would pick her up from daycare and watch her. I had to call my friends some weekends and offer to cook dinner or something so they can keep her busy while I finish work. My daughters father sister volunteered to just keep her for me Monday - Wednesday every week. I dropped her off at daycare on Monday and picked her up on Thursday afternoons because I had class Mon. - Wed night. My daughter just turned 2 and I just graduated. I dont regret it. I do feel like I missed alot, but she was young she wont remember it. Its over and now Im able to spend that time with her. Its a hard things to do, buts it worth it. Now my doctorate, Im going to do online.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

Next question in
this is my question

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
i think i am pregnant