Couples Counseling

Im wondering if this is just a guy thing. My dh and I are in couples counseling to try and work out some kinks after 4yrs of marriage. It's both our second marriages. Before my 1st marriage ended, my then husband and i entered counseling to try and fix what was broken. But since my current husband and I have been going now for the past 4 mos, i am noticing a familiar pattern with both my ex h and current h that has me baffled. Both now and when i was in counseling with my xh, they both listen to the counselor, agree with the work that needs to be done, and then go home and act as if no one has told them to work on anything. Their ability to work on change within the marriage seems to be non-existant, and I'm now starting to feel like this counseling thing is a waste of our money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• omg
    we're not married but have been together for a while and we are doing counseling before tying the knot

well my SO would do the same thing so i snitched to the counselor about his all talk no action. lol
    if i did the work he had to too
    the counselor, psychotherapist, set him straight...lol

and are you just going to a counselor or a doctor who is a psychologis
    there is a difference because the doctors have way more insight into how the mind works and reacts, i found that just counselor, with MS degrees didnt give much explanation to the way our minds are wired and going back to the roots of childhood and such JMO
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:34 PM on May. 26, 2010

• That's because neither man really wanted to work on anything, they just said they would to shut you up. Which is a really cowardly way to behave, and you should point that out as nicely as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on May. 27, 2010