Pooping

My son is 6 days old and at 3 days was readmitted for jaundice and had to go from exclusively BF to alternating w/ formula. Now is back to breast and discharged from hospital, but is not pooping a whole lot, yesterday he pooped like crazy and today he hasn't pooped at all. We had his one week checkup this morning and the nurse said it was from alternating that it could have screwed up his bowels, the doctor said it's normal but no poop from a newborn that's BF'd doesn't seem normal to me, he's peeing like crazy though. My milk is in fully and I know that's not the issue seeming as pumping everything comes out wonderfully and he seems satisfied after BFing his weight is back up to birth too, just not sure. What do you think, the lactation consultant even commented how well he does with latching and everything, help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From all that you describe this sounds fine! I think his system is just re-adjusting. See how it goes for the next 24 hours.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:39 PM on May. 26, 2010

• It IS normal! Breastfed babies don't poop as much. Poop is that which the body cannot use...there's very little unusable matter in breastmilk.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:03 PM on May. 26, 2010

• hes doing perfectly do not worry in days he will be pooping fine formula is hard on their little systems at first so alternating might have messed up his little system but his tummy will be fine and back to normal in a few days!!! cograts on the new little one!
    luvmyaustin

Answer by luvmyaustin at 6:40 PM on May. 26, 2010

• gdiamante,

I have to disagree with you. I've had 4 exclusively breastfed babies (current one is 5 weeks) and they have all pooped multiple times a day on a daily basis.
    Anonymous

• At about a month old BF babies tend to start pooing less. Mine was down to once a week by 3 months old. Now that he is on formula, he has a BM 1 - 3 times a day.
    hazelnutx

Answer by hazelnutx at 7:41 PM on May. 26, 2010

• It takes a baby's bowels a month to recover from one bottle of formula. Too bad the doctors told you you had to give the formula. It was inaccurate advice. Babies with jaundice soon after birth don't need formula even if they need phototherapy. Breastmilk is better for them than formula. I'm glad your milk is in and your baby can still latch.

http://massbreastfeeding.org/formula/bottle.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bfhelp-jaundice.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:10 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I agree that his system is probably recovering from the formula. While it is normal for BF babies not to poop every day - that usually doesn't start happening until after about 3 weeks. However, I don't think anything is WRONG - it's certainly not BF related, just due to the formula. Once his system recovers, he'll get back into a normal swing of things. But after the 3 week point, don't worry if he doesn't poop every day. My sister's youngest used to poop only on Thursdays, no joke! They called it "poop Thursday". =)
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:57 AM on May. 27, 2010