How old should my child be before they get facebook?

My child wants to get facebook. I really don't want her too. But, just in case I agree to it, should there be a special age limit other than how old you have to be to get it? And should my child really get facebook? thank you for answering my two questions.

JaneWilliams5

Asked by JaneWilliams5 at 5:54 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• FB is rarely a good thing for teens. I don't know if it EVER is.... it started off as a college thing.... maybe it should have stayed one.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:01 PM on May. 26, 2010

• At least 14 or 15, and 16 if you can put her off that long.
    Anonymous

• Personally, with as many weirdos as are possibly on there I wouldnt allow it til they were at least 16 or older.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:57 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I think she has to be 13 before she can join at all... IMO, if she's in HS, there is no reason why FB is a bad thing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:57 PM on May. 26, 2010

• when my kids reach that point I will encourage a blog, website, etc ..... but a facebook, not so sure. I'd ONLY ok it in my house if we shared the password. Anything worth having on there should be clean and innocent enough for me to see. All friend requests incoming and outgoing should be a mutual decision. Ditto for photos posted. 15 is a good age, maturity permitting. If they think it's OK to post a photo in a bikini, wait a yr. If they think it's OK to accept a friend request from someone they aren't related to or goto school or church with, wait a year.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:00 PM on May. 26, 2010

• my 10 yr old cousin has facebook. i dont see the big deal. she talks to me, her aunts, her mom, our grandma and all of her friends.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:00 PM on May. 26, 2010

• my sis and all her friends got them at 11...they have everything restricted and blocked, cant even see a pic unless your a friend
    they are all on a traveling soccer team so this is a good way for them to keep in touch with other friends
    and they mainly just play the games, farmville, sorority life
    they are all 12 now turning 13 now

plus i have my lil sisters password...lol i havent had to use it but to collect her points on that farm game when she went camping because she begged, but i have the power
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:01 PM on May. 26, 2010