how old is a child when they start washing themselves in the bath? Take a bath themselves? What about doing it behind closed doors without daddy seeing?

1. My DD just turned 5 last month she will not wash herself what so ever I know she can't wash her hair yet, but she wont wash with soap yet either at what age can they do this?
2. How about starting and turning off the water? Like what age can I just tell her go get a bath and not have to worry about getting her close, starting and turning off the water?
3. what about with a shut door? My 5 year old for some reason is scared of the door shut, but I also feel that she is to old to have daddy seeing her naked?
What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 5 yo ds has been taking showers mostly by himself now since the beginning of Kindergarten. Our hot water heater is set low enough that neither of us even bother turning on cold water because then its too cold, so no chance of him getting burned. I took the time to show him how to bathe properly by showing him for a few days. I still have to make sure he gets all the shampoo out of his hair though, he tends to not rinse his hair very well. As for Daddy seeing her naked, I think that's a personal decision. If you're not comfortable, and she doesn't like the door shut, then just make sure daddy doesn't go near the bathroom while she's in there.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:49 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I think you need to buy her a fun bath rag or poof and some fun soap and teach her.. make her do it..
    Also I that she is way to young still to mess with the controls, or even be left alone in a bath..
    And, I think if you are nervous about her daddy seeing her, then you must have some issue with him? No reason a daddy cant help his little girl out. Nakedness is not a bad thing unless you make it so. My son is 5.5 and I am the only one home to give him a bath usually. I dont feel weird, and neither does he....
    Anonymous

• I think 5 is still pretty young to worry about Daddy seeing her with the door open while she takes a bath! Kids vary regarding when they will run the controls themselves. I think you are rushing a little.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:13 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My DD is five too . she take her own bath washes herself and washes her hair as well. with the no tear shampoo just in case it gets in her eyes. I double check before she gets out to make sure she is clean. she is just now learning how to run the water herself but I don't want her to do this because my water gets really hot and if she does it wrong she can burn herself. DD takes a bath with the door open she is to young to be taking a bath with the door closed and she is still daddy little baby so if he see her naked then its not a big deal. I wouldn't be concerned about that for a couple of more year
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:44 PM on May. 26, 2010