Why isn't this woman in jail?????

My 7 year old little brother is a special needs child... Last week his regular bus driver wasn't the one who dropped him off, we kept asking different people where his regular bus driver was. Everyone said they weren't at liberty to discuss it... Well it was in the newspaper today... The bus driver and the bus monitor left a 4 year old on that bus unattended for 5 and 1/2 hrs!! She took her bus load to school that morning and didn't double check the bus before going home, he was found that afternoon!! Thankfully the child was unharmed!!!

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:04 PM on May. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think she should be in jail too. We have had far too many accidents with children left on busses who end up dead. In those cases the drivers went to jail. So just because a child lived the driver gets off scott free? Nope lock them up for just a little time at least. They could have killed someone.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:38 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Well, if the police believe it was accident, then usually the person doesn't get in trouble for it. The woman who left her baby in the car all day and the baby died, didn't get in trouble because she didn't do it on purpose. She forgot that she had the baby with her and the police believed her. She never went to jail. It could be similar thing.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:05 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Your kidding? You think she should be in prison because she didn't walk back and double check the bus?? Really?? WOW... Because our prisons aren't over populated enough as it is are they...

Come on, it's horrid that this happened, but it's not an offense that deserved an arrest either...
    Anonymous

• Probably because people make accidents. Why did it take the school that long to figure it out? My kids' school calls by 10am if my child isn't in school. All the special needs children are met at the bus by their teachers. I don't think it should be on the bus driver alone as there are many people who dropped the ball on this.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 6:09 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Wow I can't believe I am the only one who feels this way!!!! What if this was your child??? What if it had killed the child??? All because of negligence !!! Tese are special needs kids!!!! They need the extra attention!!!

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:11 PM on May. 26, 2010

• If it was my kid I would be upset... But this is an underpaid over worked imperfect human, I wouldn't call this negligence at all, just a simple mistake...
    Anonymous

• This happens often with school buses, it really does, you just dont hear about it. Jail time ofr this? Uhh no, suspension from her job or being let go yes that is resonable to me. I do have a special needs child but i also understand these people are human and things happen.

you are going crazy over what if's not the facts. Let me ask you this, what if you someone thought you might be a bad parent? by your way of thinking they should call cps now and have your child removed because what if you abuse them! what if that guy on the corner is a bank robber? should we arrest him becuase he might rob a bank? what if's are a dangerous game to play we dont send people to jail over what if's.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 6:19 PM on May. 26, 2010

• we are only human.... everyone makes mistakes, though even his i find to inexcusable.. poor kid. hope its ok...
    Anonymous

• If we arrested everybody that made a dreadful mistake, I would be in jail right now. Yes, as a bus driver of special needs children, she takes on extra responsibility to make sure that the kids all get off the bus, although if my child was severely disabled that I couldnt trust him/her to know when the safely enter/exit, I would send an aid with them.
    The teachers didnt notice the child was absent? Sounds to me like this poor kid was failed by more than the just bus driver...any of them criminal? No.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:21 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Sweetpea I know this is a special needs child, I have one of my own, but that doesn't constitute jail time for an accident. It constitutes the entire chain of command all the way up to the principal to have some sort of fault in this.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 6:21 PM on May. 26, 2010