What do you do as a member of the PTA?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on May. 26, 2010 in

• Me? Nothing. I paid the 5 bucks to join.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:30 PM on May. 26, 2010

• You pays your money, you gets your....nothing. LOL.

Let's see, when my ds was in school, the money generally went towards stuff like Teacher's appreciation breakfast. The PTA/PTO also does fundraising, for things the school needs or wants....like selling cookie dough/ pies/ magazines (depending on kids' age level) to buy a new flagpole, school sign, beautify the place. And they try to find guest speakers to talk about various topics.

The PTA/O in my area also elects a representative to go to the city Board of Education meetings, to give the parents perspective on the plans and to bring info back to the parents at the school.
    I guess that's all I can think of right now.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:42 PM on May. 26, 2010

• The PTA does mostly fundraising....they like everyone to join. I always join....and volunteer for a few things in the course of a year. My general policy has been to do things that directly involve the kids and to stay away from things like boards and committees that would actually take me away from my kids in the evenings, etc.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:55 PM on May. 26, 2010

• If you are smart you will run away very fast right now. No I'm kiddin. I was a PTA President and treasurer for many years and although I worked my butt off I really did enjoy it. Ours wasn't an official PTA so we didn't require a membership fee but if you came to the meetings and stood still to long you would be put to work. We raised money by having carnivals, bake sales, jog a thones and sold Sees candy. We did alot for the teachers to help out with school supplies and keeping there classroom clean and organized. Join, you will have fun and it is a great way to stay in touch with the teachers and you will know way more than the average parent about what goes on at the school.
    millie2112

Answer by millie2112 at 1:03 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I pay my $5 and get a little card that says I'm a member. You mean to tell me there's more to it than that??
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2010