does anyone else not enjoy being around family?

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 6:45 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• As in extended? Depends on which relatives.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:49 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Yes, all the time, most of them really drive me nuts with the things they do. I'm not perfect, nor do I feel I'm better than anyone in my family, but I wish all of my siblings had vehicles besides me because I have all the pressure coming my way, and it can be very stressful.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 7:04 PM on May. 26, 2010

• yes. Anyone besides my hubby and son get on my nerves big time!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:04 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I stopped going to the family gatherings because my brothers were ungrateful about gifts telling my mom that they think we are trying to show off by giving gift certificates and how much they got. The complaints and all of the bs made me stop wanting to go and the ugliness was too much
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:14 PM on May. 26, 2010

• YES. They drive me NUTS. I always feel like the black sheep - like everyone else is talking to each other but not me, and if I try to get involved in the conversation it just fizzles out. My sister, whose company I enjoy one on one, gets really stressed at family gatherings and is controlling over the environment, yelling at the kids, etc. I always feel on the spot with my mom and stepdad. It's just an uncomfortable situation - too much politeness, not enough genuine fun and openess and love. My husband's family is so different - so welcoming and warm and nonjudgemental. My dad's family is more laid back and fun but there are a few complainers, so the negative energy sucks a bit. I once read that family are people you would never associate with had you not been related by blood. I love them but try to keep my distance.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:04 PM on May. 26, 2010

• OMG..figaro..you're totally me. I stopped going to family functions about a yr ago..and you know what? I dont miss it at all. Kinda sad it has to be with way..but I'd rather be around my SO's family.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 9:20 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I can't throw my son a birthday party because they think I only invite them for the gifts..I'm pregnant right now and my SO's family is the only people I'm thinking of inviting for my baby shower. My family thinks babies are a burden rather than being a gift from god!
    Anonymous

• Yes!! I was never this way until I had kids, now that I do I feel annoyed every time we go visit family. In fact we are visiting them in a couple weeks and I am already aggitated about it.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:57 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Yes. I plan on moving my son and I to another state just to get away cause they dont travel out of state lol . So that will be the end of that
    Anonymous

• yes yes yes.. i thought i was the only one like that lol ive never been a huge fan of fam gatherings. i would much rather be at home spending time with my dh n my 2 kids. i dont want to sound cruel but i dont care too much for my family. all or most of them are drama n stress. so i just choose to stay away. the worst thing is when they come over i tell the kids to be quiet n wait till they leave lol

mscuevas

Answer by mscuevas at 11:37 AM on May. 28, 2010