If your child's teacher took their cell phone away and did not lock it up and it was stolen, who should pay for it, the child/parents or the teacher?

Personally, I think that if it was against the rules to have a cell phone in class in the first place, then the teacher shouldn't be held responsible for it, the student who broke the rules should.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think teacher/school. It is totally against the rules to have a cell phone or just to not use it during class? Either way it is someone's personal belonging and the teacher should have more respect for it. The child isn't the one who left it out unlocked and unattended.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 7:12 PM on May. 26, 2010

• what if the teacher just took it???

one time this stupid teacher took my camera away and said come get it and the end of the day, so i went, and she was like "oh i took it to the lost and found" so i went there and they didnt have it. i bet that dumb bish took it! i hate her, i was so happy when her bf broke up with her and she was crying!
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 7:16 PM on May. 26, 2010

• If the child didn't bring the cell phone to school, then this whole scenario would not have happened. Keep the dang phones at home. The teacher is not responsible IMO.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:19 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Wow, no wonder the world is crap right now. Nobody wants be responsible for their own actions!
    Anonymous

• If the school rules against having cell phones in class, then the child is responsible. As the teacher, I would feel responsible and try to keep the item safe.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:26 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Children shouldn't bring their phones to school.And who gives their kid a phone before the age of 16 anywayz
    Anonymous

• Once the teacher took it, it became HER responsibility, and no longer the child's. Regardless of whether or not the child was permitted to have it, the teacher acted irresponsibly, and should be held accountable.

What is the schools policy on phones in class? IF the school's policy is that the student looses the phone or that the parents much come and retrieve it then they are taking responsibility for it once they take it. While I agree and understand that the student shouldn't have the phone in the first place, that's not the issue... The issue is that the teacher did not do her part to safeguard the confiscated property - AS SHE SHOULD HAVE... So while both are in the wrong, the phone was stolen while in the possession of the teacher and school, not the student...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:33 PM on May. 26, 2010

• They would still blame the teacher if it had still been in the child's possession.
    Anonymous

• If it was against the rules to have it in the first place, then the student/parent is responsible. Had they followed the rules then they'd still have the phone.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:48 PM on May. 26, 2010

• In my opinion it would depend on who bought the cell phone if the child bought it I say let them learn a hard lesson. If the parent bought it then I say that the Teacher should pay for it if she/he did not lock it up, unless the teacher followed protocol then I would say the school should pay for it.
    psalms3115

Answer by psalms3115 at 7:52 PM on May. 26, 2010