Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where can I find foundations that donate books for my bookish son?

My 11 year old son loves reading science books. He wishes to be a scientist. Yes! He can read books cover to cover. He won many science competitions. He wanted to win in regional to national to international science competitions. His teacher allows him to lend books from her up to 10 books but not enough for him. He can finish them reading in a month! I looked to bookstores to buy books for him but was so expensive. That is why I am looking for foundations now. Or any international scholarships grant who can sponsor his education.

Answer Question

Asked by annaloumercado at 7:28 PM on May. 26, 2010 in

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Public library. Maybe a university library, but not likely if he's not a student there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • Check you local library. They (at least mine) can do inter library loans from other library's. Also check the Nasa channel

    Answer by Wyndi at 10:33 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • Many universities have lending capacity for local residents, with a possible small annual fee attached, but it is well worth it. Interlibrary loans are also an excellent idea.

    Answer by tngrandma at 5:28 AM on May. 27, 2010

  • Our local library (free to county residents) also does inter-library loans with all of the major universities in the area. If you have any universities or colleges locally (including community colleges), I would suggest checking them out. If nothing else, telling your story may move someone to take your son under their guidance.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on May. 27, 2010

  • I would also suggest checking out book sales at local colleges/universities. You can often pick up expensive books for almost nothing when a professor decides to clean his bookshelves!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on May. 27, 2010

  • Contact a local large university. Arrange to meet with the dean of sciences. See what they can do to help you. :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on May. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.