Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 2 yr old just swallowed 3 whole pieces of chewing gum. should i be worried?

i noticed dd was chewing on something but i thought it was a piece of the apple i had given her. then she swallowed it and stuck out her tongue and it was green! i went into the kitchen and saw she had pulled a chair up to the counter where i had left a pack of trident layers gum sitting out. she had unwrapped the 3 last pieces and ate them! i know kids swallow bubble gum all the time, but idk if i should be worried about sugar free gum. also, idk how hard it is going to be for her to pass the wad of gum! i mean, it was 3 whole pieces and she's only 2! any advice? suggestions? bashings? (since this is CM afterall... LOL)

Answer Question
 
momma_gig

Asked by momma_gig at 8:13 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 6 (125 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • It will be fine. Gum gets digested just like anything else.
    BlooBird

    Answer by BlooBird at 8:19 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • Are you sure she swallow them. My son did the same but I found the chew pieces on the floor.

    "Almost everyone has swallowed a piece of gum, but few kids have ever needed a doctor because of it. You might have heard that swallowed gum stays in your stomach for 7 years. That's not true. Though your stomach can't break down a piece of gum the same way it breaks down other food, your digestive system can move it along through normal intestinal activity. In other words, it comes out the other end when you have a bowel movement (poop)."kidshealth,org
    Energ8zr

    Answer by Energ8zr at 8:19 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • I was saying if you're sure that she swallowed the 3 gums. Maybe it was only one.

    When Is Swallowed Gum a Problem?

    "Swallowing a large mass of gum, or many small pieces of gum over a short period of time, can block the digestive tract in rare cases. Blockage is most likely when gum is swallowed along with foreign objects, like coins, or when swallowed with nondigestible materials like sunflower seeds.

    Little kids are most likely to be affected because they might not understand that gum is chewed, not swallowed." kidshealth.org

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • Sorry I must've pressed the anon button again. LOL
    Energ8zr

    Answer by Energ8zr at 8:22 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • Call the ER and ask for a triage nurse. She'll be a better help with your concerns.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • Swallowing sugar-free gum isn't any worse than swallowing sugared gum. She'll poop it out, but if you notice a worse tummy ache than normal have her checked out. When she poops it out it could be stringy, if it doesn't come out all in one poop. I have 4 kids. Been there done this too many times to count. None of them ever had a problem.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • She should be fine!! I swallow my gum all the time. it come out whole sometimes~!! I know TMI
    Cherish050307

    Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:34 PM on May. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.