Is this normal?

My DD is 7 1/2 months and she does this thing were she throws her head down in front of her and when she crawls up to a wall or anything in her way, she puts her head down and taps the top of her head on it. She isn't hurting herself or anything but I'm confused on why she does it. Is it normal? Does anybody know why she does it?

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 9:05 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yea, my dd's a taurus & uses her head as a weapon. When she gets really mad @ me when I tell her no she sometimes tries to head butt me lol.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:06 PM on May. 26, 2010

• sounds like a new cause and effect experiment. She'll find something new to investigate soon!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:08 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Lol thats what I was thinking. When she throws her head down, I do give out a little laugh then she laughs and does it again so what you said makes sense. Thank you!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:10 PM on May. 26, 2010

• whoa! something is seriously wrong with your kid!!! just kidding :) all 3 of mine did it, and only one has autism lol. i point that out because some people think head banging is a symptom of autism. it is, but not in the way you're describing it. i agree with pp. it's a cause and effect thing. possibly a test of her own strength and tolerance. no worries.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:13 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Yup. :]
    My son did that, it was his "sprint" mode for crawling. He'd tuck his chin to his chest, and smash into the wall. She'll grow out of it... eventually. :P
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 9:39 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My son just turned 11 months. He started that at 6 months. He still does it..lol...If he sits against something he will bang his head on it. Or headbutt you. Id say shes fine :) If not i need to get my son checked too..lol
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:23 AM on May. 27, 2010

• When my daughter was little she was experimenting with walking..with her eyes closed! lol She would intentionally close her eyes and walk then run into things then laugh her head off.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:23 PM on May. 27, 2010