If u inherent money and u are married does your husband have rights to it?

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 9:45 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• I would think so.
    Anonymous

• I would think so too. Besides, if you are MARRIED, wouldn't you consider the money BOTH OF YOURS anyway? In my marriage what I earn is HIS, what he earns is MINE. It's all OURS.

Anonymous

• Well I was thinking about this recently. If my father dies and leaves me a sum of money it is left to me. If I should want to do something special for my self my husband would understand. If we are having financial difficulties I would certainly use it to help out the household situation.
    Personally if it was a load of money like over $25,000 I would invest it. I would discuss it with my husband and ask for his help. He is a financial planner and c.p.a. So he would have more access to info. that I do.
    So yes if it is left to you then it is yours. I would say it really depends on how your relationship works. If my husband took my inheritances and got a Bass boat I would bean him.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:01 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Any money or property accumulated while you're married, by either party and by whatever means, is communal property and belongs to both of you, legally speaking.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:07 PM on May. 26, 2010

• legally speaking if you were to get an inheritence and then the two of you divorce he would get his equal share of it because everything you earn is part of the household income, just like anything he earns is also yours. Obviously if the two of you are in a relationship I'm assuming he wouldn't tell you to divide up the money right away and go off and do something with it without discussing it with you. Personally I've already been told by my father that he is expecting a large inheritance when his folks die and when that happens he'll be giving some of that to me and my brother and my husband already knows the money is mine; he isn't going to fight with me about it since he knows I'm not going to blow it on junk and that I'll spoil him too.
    Anonymous

• legally yes
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:20 PM on May. 26, 2010

• So legally what is your before u got married would automatically become his because u married him?
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:21 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Don't u know about the money before u get married.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:23 PM on May. 26, 2010

• No. My grandmother inherited her house and she was married for 30 years and my grandfather is not entitled to it. Anything you buy with the money your spouse is not entitled to either.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:53 PM on May. 26, 2010

• If you inherit through a trust, than no.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:42 PM on May. 26, 2010