What people are thinking

OK, so I'm a 25 year old mom of a 1 year old and have learned ALOT of things about the 24/7 aspect of having children. Now, my husband and I live with my parents while we pay off debts. We've gotten nearly all of them paid off and plan to move in the next few months. But the people at my church sort of treat me as though my mother takes care of my son for me. She has tried to tell them that she hasn't even changed more than 5 diapers, but they seem not to believe us, even though there is a single mom of two at church that everyone knows takes care of her own children under her parents' roof. Anyway, I guess I'm wondering if this is a common reaction to young families living with the grandparents? Even if it's not true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would never think that about anyone, know matter what their living situation is. I'm sorry that people think that of you. You sound like Mom who is trying to do what is in the best interest of your family and I applaud you for that.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:02 PM on May. 26, 2010

• why do you care? especially in a place that SHOULD ( but never is) the least judgemental place on earth?

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:06 PM on May. 26, 2010

• this is a common thought from people who are quick to judge half a situation. it's really not worth it to worry too much, i say let your actions speak louder than your words and it will pass. just remember that you are doing what is right for YOUR family.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 10:54 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Personally I would not make that assumption. I would assume that your parents help out and all, but I wouldnt think they were taking care of you. 25 is not young enough for me to think that.... Also the fact you are married, also would keep me from thinking your parents are taking care of you.

I would try not to let it bother you. The more you all try to make points that your mother DOES NOT take care of you, the more people will probably think that she does. It sounds like you and your family are doing what is best for everyone involved and I think its great!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:57 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Many people make ASSumptions. Don't let it get to you, it won't be forever
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:55 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I care, bestmommy, because I wonder about how often people run into this problem. Note that I didn't ask how to cope with it. We're coping just fine; I know that it'll just take time to get through to them. I am only wondering HOW OFTEN you see this problem.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 6:01 PM on May. 28, 2010