So mad!! Does she have a right to call all of my family and let them know my business at work?

Last Friday, I had to call in because my son was sick. I also had scheduled to have Tuesday off because he had a doctor's appointment hat was out of town. Well, they must have forgotten and over looked the fact that I was suppose to be off because they tried to call me to find out where I was. I had left my cell phone in the car so I wasn't able to be reached. I have my mom's number listed as an emergency contact number so they called her to make sure I was okay and then she told my mom that I called in on Friday and then I didn't show up to work today. She then preceded to tell my mom that I only work 3 days a week (I was full time but they cut my hours due to loss of business) and that with me calling in and then not showing up that I would be very short on my hours. She then called my husband on his cell phone and left the same message. Continued...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm pretty sure that legally she is doing something wrong, somewhere in there.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:26 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Continued... Can she legally go around and tell all of my family members my business at work? I mean I understand if she was trying to make sure that I was okay but she told them things that were none of my family's business and that is basically what my mom told her when she called. I have proof that I had the day off and I have a doctor's note stating where I was.
    Anonymous

• Well I would say that your working for an immature person. However I would also recommend that you schedule your dr. appt.s when your not working. Thus eliminating those kinds of problems. IF you hours were cut and you generally have off a few days a week then schedule around that. I would not personally give out my husbands work or my families phone numbers for any reason. If they can't find you at home or on your cell then they could leave a message.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:56 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I have had this appointment for 6 months, so that was the reason why I had to do it on a work day. On my off days I have decided to go back to school and I have had tests on both of my school days that I could not miss so I was unable to trade with anyone. I asked 2 weeks before hand to make sure it was okay and she said yes. I even reminded her about it last week!
    Anonymous

• Change the emergency contact number.

Anonymous

• 2 weeks ago... uh, are you paying her or is she paying you.?? If you give a notice and you just started out , it's more of a good thing that you put yourself on a hold for a time until you're grounded in the job more. (if it's a new job)
    Anonymous

• Gosh do you work for my old boss?!? My boss actually told us that when we have doctor appts. she calls to make sure that we were really there. But I don't think that the doctor can actually say anything, but then she was friends with my doctor so who knows. My boss was crazy.

To answer your question, I don't know if it is a legal issue but she definitely shouldn't be talking to other people about your job. She should have just said, She is not at work today. I just wanted to make sure everything was alright please call if you hear from her. The End.
    Anonymous

• sounds like you're just irritated over nothing really, you don't have to tell your boss why you aren't coming in, just let them know. sure if you want to tell them go ahead.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:34 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I would approach her boss or someone at your corporate office and tell them what happened, and that you don't appreciate it, and ask them what the company policy is on that. Be careful though, because chances are she will know it is you that they are talking about if they speak with her about it.
    Anonymous