Has anyone dealt with a C.diff Infection?

Three weeks ago my 6 year old was treated for an ear infection.They put her on a Z-pack.Cleared evrything up, no problems. Well 5 days ago she has had Smelly,watery Diarrhea.Vomiting the first day, and stomach cramps.Well day 4 took her to doc and they said lets wait a couple more days to see if it clears up. Well it hasnt and now we have to go back for tests.Could this be C.Diff? (or amI just being paranoid.)What kind of treatment to they give for it?

stephanie546

Asked by stephanie546 at 9:48 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Health

• mmmm yes... lol. off/on for years now. If it is, make sure it's treated by an actual infectious disease doc and nothing less.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:56 PM on May. 26, 2010

• PS it should be diagnosed w/ a simple poop sample... should NOT be taking more than a day, tops!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:57 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Thanks so much for answering..but whats wrong with the regular doctor?..Do they just give a bunch of crappy meds or something to try and see if they work before actually giving the right stuff?
    stephanie546

Answer by stephanie546 at 10:19 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I'd definitely go with the infectious disease doc, you might as well have a specialist. Plus Cdiff can be tricky to treat. Whether or not its Cdiff, I'd suggest that you talk to your doc about having your daughter take acidophilis or other probiotics when she's on an antibiotic.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 10:24 PM on May. 26, 2010

• well, it's an infectious disease! it should be treated as such. like if you are following up on a possible heart attack, you goto a cardiac doc.

and the fact that it's taking SO LONG to potentially diagnose brings to mind that the regular doc doesn't see a lot of c diff and is maybe out-sourcing it anyway, taking longer........ my c diff diarrhea is always like sand, literally...... but i'd imagine every case is different. i never take my meds properly, since they make me feel SO LOUSY, mine has been chronic and recurring. i'll have cycles of extreme diarrhea and then 4-6 weeks of no pooh whatsoever. good luck!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:24 PM on May. 26, 2010

• PS .... i just realized you're already worried and I said more worrysome stuff. I have a rare allergy to flagyl which is the #1 main "go too" treatment, I am an unusual case. Most peoples clear up QUICK w/ proper care.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:26 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I've dealt with both it and rotovirus - and it sounds more like rotovirus to me. cDiff is from antibiotic overload, more or less, not just one quick round of zithromax. When my DD had rotovirus (also diagnosed from a poop sample), she vomited a couple of times over a couple of days, then had the smellies water diarrhea for another week. When I had cDiff I was in hell on earth - I'm not going into details but it was much worse than what you listed your DD's symptoms as. She sounds exacly like my DD did. And they can dehydrate sooooo fast from rotovirus, I'd even consider taking her to urgent care or the ER tonight! My DD ended up in the PICU for 2 days and on the regular peds floor for another 2. I was in the hospital for 10 days and had surgery when I had cDiff.
    Anonymous

• I have had lots of experience with c-diff with my grandmother. She got her first case of it in 2008 after she was in the hospital/rehab center because of breaking her hip. About 2 years of experience. It would leave, come back, leave come back, etc. Flagyl is the main drug of choice in taking care of it but I also have heard the use of probiotics to help. Yogurt and supplements that contain probiotics. She also spent a lot of time in the hospital, trying to battle it because of the other problems c-diff causes. Like dehydration. Message me if you need more information.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:38 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Thank you all for your answers.They are extremely helpful.We got the samples in today and of course they said the results might be in tomorrow but ~of course~ more likely Tuesday because of the Holiday Weekend.I will update with the results.Thanks again everyone.
    stephanie546

Answer by stephanie546 at 3:43 PM on May. 27, 2010

• Ok ..according to the test results she doesnt have C.diff or any other bacteria or parasite causing the diarrhea. Probably just viral..according to the doctor. My dd is a lot better , but still not herself.She isnt as playful, a little run down and now has lost her voice..laryingitis..i suppose.No fever. Well i will give her a few more days to start acting like her old self and if she doesnt , I am taking her back to the doctor.
    stephanie546

Answer by stephanie546 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2010