Do you make your child hold your hand when in a store?

my SO will let my 2 year old walk freely around a store, claiming that he is watching him, but i cant stand it bc he often turns his head on the boy (to look at something) and the baby is off down the isle playing. he took the baby in game stop and when i came up the baby was standing at the door playing with the lock, and dad was a few feet away reading the back of a game. i stood there long enough to note that i had plenty of time to open the door and let my son run out before he even turned his head to check and see where he was. but i turned the kid around and walked in the store and made him hold my hand. so i told SO later that maybe he should keep a closer eye on him since he moves quickly and could have easily gotten away....his response was "no comment" was i wrong to bring that to his attention?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Usually, we go out as a family, so dh will do the shopping and I let my daughter wander around and explore the store while I walk with her. She is only 22 months, but already hates being in the cart and the stroller is so enormous that we don't use it that often. She likes to "help" shop, so it's funny. She'll walk up and throw things in the cart...I just put them back when she's not looking.

You are NOT wrong. I would have done exactly what princessbeth said. If you see him doing this again...maybe you should try that to give him a little perspective.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:12 AM on May. 27, 2010

• No not wrong. We have a back pack with a leash. I know some don't agree with it, but my kid isn't going anywhere. When we are in public and she wants to walk she holds our hand and we hold the "tail" to the back pack. It works great. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:59 PM on May. 26, 2010

• i have my kids strapped into the stroller or the cart when i go out with them *(well the almost 5yo walks with me but he's usually hanging on the stroller lol). when daddy is with us in a store, he lets the two older ones run around and i don't like that but he does watch them pretty good. you dealt with the situation better than i would have. i would have took the baby and left the store and waited to see how long it took him to notice he was gone. i would not have been happy about that either.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:07 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Not always. If I'm not in a hurry, then a lot of times I will let him down and watch him walk. I think it's fun sometimes for him to take the lead and go where he wants to. But if I'm actually shopping and need to get done with what I'm doing then I put him in a cart or his stroller and do what I need to.

Answer by missanc at 10:11 PM on May. 26, 2010

• nope - and you need to make the point stick....
    maybe a stroller when you are out??
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:16 PM on May. 26, 2010

• its perfectly normal to feel this way seeing as kids get kidnapped and get lost all the time.we use our stroller sometimes and other times we use his monkey backpack w/leash.it allows him freedom and allows us to make sure he stays safe.so for us its a win/win situation all around :)
    b4byd0ll

Answer by b4byd0ll at 9:00 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I don't think your wrong either! I always let dd walk but she has to hold my hand. She doesn't run away and will actually hide behind me when people are in the same aisle. Dh prefers putting her in the cart if it's available but I always take her back out so she can help and get the exercise! Mines 2.5 so she's very curious and in the cart she gets frustrated when we don't know what she's pointing at.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:59 AM on May. 27, 2010