what to expect of a child while reading them a book?

What are normal expectations? I am typically the most patient and mellow Momma EVER... but when we read out nightly book (or 2... or 15) and my kids interrupt, flip ahead pages, etc it just annoys the pooh outta me. I think it's cuz after dinner, baths, brushing, flossing, etc, I am out of steam. Anyone else find it an irritating process?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:15 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• lol. We just finished reading our LO's their book. (ages 4, 3 and 11 months.) They get a bit hyper sometimes and want to interrupt or bounce on the couch or whatever. We stopped the interruptions by telling them that when I raise my hand they can talk. Before I flip the page I raise my hand and let them ask their questions. Then I lower my hand and the talking must stop. If they talk or jump around I say "That's one." They know they have until the third time then I put the book away. And if one acts up, the other loses reading time too so it helps b/c they don't want the other mad at them.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:26 PM on May. 26, 2010

• no, my kids are good and listen to books. well the 2 yo only sits still and listens to a book if he really likes it. they know that if they're going to be annoying or not listen then i will just shut the book so they don't go there lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:18 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I think it depends on their age. I've always held my 18 month old in my lap while I read to him, so he's kinda "trapped". My 8 and 10 year olds know that if they interrupt, reading stops. We usually read 2 chapters/night, but if they are hopping up and down or start talking about something else, etc. I tell them they obviously aren't interested and we'll pick up there the next night.

Answer by missanc at 10:19 PM on May. 26, 2010

• let them read it to u
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:54 PM on May. 26, 2010

• :) Read to them differently. Walk around the room or put in a mommy reading chair. They have to sit in bed. I usually let my kids play on the floor while reading to them, it helps them concentrate.
    Just to let you know it is normal for them to behave this way. Read to them every night even though they are acting out. It will get better. Read Chicka Chicka BOOM BOOM. My kids loved it. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Totally normal, at this point you want to let them lead. Ask them simple questions about objects on the page, make it an interactive activity. They will talk and sit for you better if you let them take the lead for now.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:54 PM on May. 27, 2010