child too affectionate

... how to deal? My son who is 5 1/2 is unusually compassionate, deep, and full of empathy. For awhile now he's gotten into the habit of touching us casually while talking. Like a hand on the shoulder kind of thing. He seems to have an internal level of appropriateness, as he's never done it with a peer/kid/friend, only teens and adults. It seemed to creep out 86 yr old great granny though. I don't want to discourage since he's SO sensitive and kind, he just wants to connect & make sure he has peoples attention I think. What to say??

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:18 PM on May. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i don't think that the problem is with your son..... it's with the great-grandmom imo. tell her to lighten up (in a nice way). i mean why would she have a problem with her great-grandson touching her? is she starting to go downhill mentally? that's a whole different story and you would have to find a nice way to tell that to your son if that's the case
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:23 PM on May. 26, 2010

• i don't know , but my niece is like that. she wants to sit on EVERYONE'S lap, even total strangers. maybe explain to him that it's ok with mom and dad, but it can be uncomfortable, or even dangerous, with other people. it's too bad we have to teach our kids to tone down the affection, but that's just the way it is :( GL

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:22 PM on May. 26, 2010

• great granny commented "why is he petting me like a damn cat?" and she's right, lol... that basically is kind of what he does. He's just the sweetest little guy on the planet.... but it could be off-putting to the wrong person I know.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:27 PM on May. 26, 2010

• lol i would say lighten up..... he's a little kid. but hey that's just me lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:36 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My dd is pretty affectionate too. Nothing wrong with that.
    Anonymous

• My son would get really excited when a waitress brought desert and jump up and hug her. We just explained that hugs are for family and close friends, but a simple thank you is best for strangers. In the case of great grandma. Some seniors literally have thin skin and don't want to be touched or sat upon or brushed up against. Just explain that great grandma doesn't like to be touched. It doesn't mean she doesn't love him. She is just may be more sensitive to touch.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:31 AM on May. 27, 2010