my 14 yr old sister.

I knew my sister has had problems... But we fount out she is BI-polor and Skisaphizic?sp.. sorry bad spellier...
My sister wants to live with me durin the school yr my mom said no but my mom is never around for her. She knows she can gradurate if she was with me.
Plus my mom is hiding that she has theses problems from my sister.
I raised my brothers and started with my sister.

Do you think its right for my mom not to tell my sister whats really going on with her. and do you think my sister kinda has a right to pick who she wants to live with for school. I live not even 15 mins from my mom. she lives in Alabama i live in Ga.

just so confused since now i know whats wrong with my sister. I love her so much i just wants best for her.

mama2twins07

Asked by mama2twins07 at 10:26 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• OMG...I am so sorry.
    My sister was diagnosed bi-polar schizophrenic at age 14 also. We had known she had issues before that-but couldn't figure out what was wrong. She ended up in a sort of teenage mental hospital and was there for a month and that was when we finally found out what was for lack of a better word -wrong with her.
    I will sy this- ignoring or pretending that she is not schitzophrenic WILL NOT make it go away. Your mom needs to let her know what is going on , though from what I know-the people who have it don't really think they are sick. someone needs to make sure she is taking her meds EVERY DAY and someone needs to be around for her. cont...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:04 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I think it's wrong to keep a diagnosis from her. She has the right to know what is going on with her and she needs ways to deal with it.

As for living with you, she is still the parent and she makes that decision, for better or worse. Though, it seems like the better option is with you, all you can do is suggest it and let your mom know that you are OK with taking her.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:33 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Schizo is a serious thing. Your sister should be in counseling and on some serious medications for both. It is in her best interest to know. I cant believe ur mom is keeping this from her. Also for you and your children do research and know what you are dealing with. I am so sorry she is soo young, but it is manageable but she needs to know and be on the right meds or she could end up hurting hurself or someone else badly.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:39 PM on May. 26, 2010

• she is on meds but she is also adhd and my mother is telling her that all the meds she is on is for adhd.....
    I asked my mom could she come stay with me on the weekdays and come out there on the weekends like i said not even 15 mins away.
    How can i expect my mom do the best thing for my sister. when she stays gone. I love my mom she is my mom but she didnt raise me after i raised my brothers. we got a baby sitter still helped out with the kids since my baby sitter had 2 of her own. when it came to my sister we knew she had problemd didnt know it was so bad. my mom brings her to me every other day saying take her i dont know what to do. so how can i expect my sister to get though school if my mom cant handle her but wont tell my sister what is wrong so she can tell her teachers and explain in her words whats wrong. all she knows something is really wrong and no one will tell her.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:44 PM on May. 26, 2010

• cont... Also -from what I know-the younger they are when diagnosed the worse it is. People will have a hard time being around her for long and she will have the same issue with being around people if she is anything like my sister. It can be very frustrating. My sister is now 35 and the state has taken custody of her so that they can put her into hospitals if needed-we are thankful for this, she has punched my mom in the nose while she was driving and a list of other lovely things. At the moment she is doing better than she has in a very long time but is in NO WAY capable of managing money or anything like that.
    I wish you the best with your sister - and I hope your mom realises that she will need her and to not get too frustrated with her
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:09 PM on May. 26, 2010

• my mom says she is taking her meds. but she said she is scared that she will use her being sick as a excuse for everything. I never gave up on my brothers... and now my sis... my 14 yr old god child has the same problem she is on like 14 diff meds. she was also born with holes in her hearts..
    all i can say is some ppl are better at handling issues like this. I am a strong willed person. I have my kids and my god kids. and yet my mom who didnt raises us say she is now going to be a mother but still pawns her off on me cuz she cant handle it.
    I dont knwo what to do anymore...
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:11 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Well, she has a right to know her diagnosis, but your mom has the right to keep her living at her house.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:12 PM on May. 26, 2010

• With these two illnesses there will be many set backs before there is consistent success,if ever.Yup ,she will blame them for failures par for the course and kinda par for her age also.Consulting with her doc will let you and her know what she can handle.While on her meds and totally lucid set up a behavior plan with rewards and consequences including not taking her meds.The goal will be to help her make the right decision to stay on meds and recognize when she starts to go awry.Remember when on her meds if she chooses to stop taking them it was deliberate and should have consequences an get her back on meds immediately.Before kids I was a director of mental illness recovery house ,a stop off from state hospitals to general society.Hey I have lots of family in Columbus.My grandfather grew up there and he met and married my grandmother there.Still have second ,third and oh my fourth cousins there.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:42 PM on May. 26, 2010

• i lived here all my life well between here and russell county.
    i love it here.
    but when it come to dhr and the welfar dept. it kinda sucks.
    but she had liek 1/2 the ppl here tricare
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:44 PM on May. 26, 2010