Am I the only one that doesn't think cell phones are a bad thing for kids to have?

I was reading the posts about the teacher who took the cell phone and then lost it or it was stolen, and I was SHOCKED at the amount of moms who felt the kid shouldn't have had the cell in the first place.

For me, my kids will have cells and will be taking them to school from an early age (3rd or 4th grade at least). I see it as a safety issue. We have school shootings, rapes, beatings and more going on in schools and kids need to call for help in these situations, and running to the office to get a phone isn't always an option...

And that's not even taking all the things that could happen on their way to or from, or while they are with their team or band group or at a friends house... Cell phones save lives... Do I think a kid should be sitting in class chatting it up? NO. But, that doesn't mean they shouldn't have them... I think to deny them that is to deny them any form of safety in an emergency...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:07 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• sorry..... i am not getting my kids a phone until they can drive and then it's gonna be a no-frills one that stays with the car (not assigned to a specific kid).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:11 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I used to be very anti cell phone, but our city has taken out all the pay phones. So yes some kids will need them to call home for a ride. But I would limit it to a prepaid phone and no personal calls allowed. I do not approve of kids just mindlessly chatting and texting all day.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:11 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I completley agree with you. I think cell phones are great. my kids will have them from a very early age. I want my kids to be able to ALWAYS get in touch with me if they need too, or have a way to call for help.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:11 PM on May. 26, 2010

• What did you do when you were a child? Did you have a cell phone for emergencies? I think it's a cop out (IMO) and an excuse. There is NO REASON why children should have cell phones, period. And it's no permitted at school anyway. They are there to learn, and if you give a child a cell phone, they will play with it and goof around. I can't even phatham the idea of giving my son a cell phone in 3rd or 4th grade. They don't understand the cost or anything like that and you're just setting them up to fail in that department. There are other ways for security, etc.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:12 PM on May. 26, 2010

• plus, i agree that i dont want my kids texting all day while they are in class, but i dont see why kids cant be allowed to chat or text sometimes. i like too! why would i deny my kids a simple pleasure like that? people act like there kids are dogs who dont deserve anything in life.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:12 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I dont and as soon as she is old enough to use one properly i will be getting my daughter one
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 11:14 PM on May. 26, 2010

• When I was a child there were no such things as school shootings... But by the time I was in HS, I had a cell phone AND a pager so when my friend was beat nearly to death with a dowl rod, I could (and did) call 911... He still came close to dieing...

I'm not saying they need all the bells and whistles, but a basic pre-paid 50 or 75 mins a month is enough to provide them with the safety they need...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:15 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Cell phones are not necessary. If so, then the child would be happy with a simple prepaid phone with no games, app's, etc. But all the kids want the games, the internet access, cameras, vidoe, texting, etc. There's no need for all that crap.

My daughter can have a cell phone with all that jazz when she can pay for it. But until then, she can have a basic, prepaid phone (when she begins junior high school-no earlier). If she burns through her alloted minutes before the month is up, oh well. Too bad, so sad.
    Anonymous

• What did you do when you were a child?   We used payphones.  I don't know where you live but there are no more payphones in this city. 

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:22 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Nope BlooBird... No payphones here either...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:26 PM on May. 26, 2010