More of a "Did you hear........"

I just read this horribly SAD article in Parenting Magazine and it was alarming. I thought I'd post the link here. Naturally, my first thought was "This would NEVER happen to me" however, it has made me MUCH more aware of the dangers. Hope it helps all of you too!

http://www.parenting.com/article/Baby/Health/Tragedy-in-the-Backseat-Hot-Car-Deaths

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 11:24 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wow! The part of that story that really got my attention was this;

"It's the system that lets you drive home from work without thinking consciously about every turn. The second system -- located in more advanced brain regions -- is responsible for short-term plans, such as "Buy milk on the way home." And as anyone who has ever forgotten that milk knows, the primitive "habit system" is much more powerful. "It's very difficult to keep in your mind that you want to override your habit system," Diamond says. "And it can take over almost immediately."

I know all about that part of my memories! Many times I have arrived home to realize that I hardly even remember my drive home! Its like I was spaced out the whole way or something!! LUCKILY, I have never forgotten my child, but now I understand how it could happen :(

Anonymous

• I was bawling when I read this article. I am afraid to let my kids stay with their grandparents for this reason... I don't get over protective about many things- but this keeps me up worrying at night. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 month old. The thought of seeing either one of them in the back seat of a car lifeless sends me into tears.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:52 AM on May. 27, 2010

• When my kids are with their gandparents i am going to call them every few hours (If I know they are out) just to "remind" them of the new, unroutine kid in their car. Not annoyingly, but just to "check in". i dont' care if I seem too attached to my kids while they are out of town... this is a real concern of mine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I couldn't read it. It said they couldn't find it. But from what you guys are saying maybe I don't wanna read it.
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 3:10 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I read this in the mag when it came in the mail last week. I can totally see how this could happen. All of the safety measures are a great idea.
    My son is old enough to unbuckle himself and open the doors, but when he was a baby I was always worried about doing this to him. Luckily, it never happened to us.
    cfdm3s_mommy

Answer by cfdm3s_mommy at 6:40 AM on May. 27, 2010

• When I first had Kiwi, I always worried I'd leave her somewhere. And on those rare occasions I didn't have her with me, I'd get this quick moment of panic where I was thinking "Where is she!" both while I was in the store thinking I left her in the car and in the car thinking I left her in the store. Luckily, it never happened. It's a scary thought.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:55 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Never happened to me but hubby forgot he had him. Hubby was working on something and kiddo took off down the road. Made it quarter mile before hubby noticed him. Luckily kiddo was ok and hubby found him.

After a huge fight hubby has never again neglected his duties as a parent.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2010