My husband says I am a bad cook - but I know I am not....

He actually gets mad when I dont cook things like his mom does.... for example, spagetti ( I know that isnt spelled right lol) .... I cook my sauce all day, use certain spices and everyone else bsides my husband loves it ( my aunt actually calls everyday to see what I am making for supper so she can have some of it too) ........his mom just mixes ketchup and cooked hamburger and then mixes in the noodles.....

My mashed potatoes... I make homemade with butter, salt, milk and sometimes i add things like garlic or cheddar ...my MIL only makes instant she only add water to it....no milk or butter ( which it even calls for that on the box) ... again I "cant even make potatoes right"

I dont even know what to say or do... i still make things the way i want it ( and the way my kids will eat it) ... but i am so tired of the complaining....but I refuse to make tasteless stuff that is hard enough to eat when we visit her....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OHhh my DH would just love you. He told me I'm not allowed to buy anymore dinners that come from a box! LOL. NEways He's not being fair. Tell him to make his own dinners if he doesnt like yours. It's his loss anyway
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:45 PM on May. 26, 2010

• it's just what he is use to. what he grew up on. my dh is the same. he prefers box dinners to the same kind of things made from scratch.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:45 PM on May. 26, 2010

• omggg thats so funny. my SO's mom isnt that bad, the ketchup thing - thats bad - but she doesnt seem to cook much. she has this one chicken dish, its good, but thats like her most exciting real food, besides that she makes frozen chicken cordon blue that comes in a box - her gravy SUCKS and thats really it. and my SO likes refuses to try my good home cooked meals. he does like my pasta with meatsauce, but he would rather eat frozen pizza, frozen chicken, and that one chicken dish over and over again. it really pisses me the f off - i tell him all the time i cant be married to someone i cant cook for.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:46 PM on May. 26, 2010

• He's used to eating crap, because he ate it all his life and it's what his tastebuds are used to. My DH is used to homemade food, so most of my cooking goes over well. Seriously, if you cooked crap like his mom, he'd be happy - but you obviously know how to cook real food, so keep at it and retrain his taste - if he doens't like it he can go crying to his mommy!
    Anonymous

• Its just the way he was brought up and I don't see why he would not prefer your food over hers! LOL You don't want to feed your kids out of boxes especially when you are good cook! My MIL makes really unhealthy food:( Most is yummy but I am trying to teach my kids to eat better than that so my SO makes his own food and I cook for me and the kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Your a wonderful mom and a great cook! I think he just misses his mom's cooking and the kind of food he is used to are the unhealthy ones that came out of the box. I mean,ketchup in spaghetti sounds awful but one man's poison is another man's medicine. I have a suggestion, if your cooking spaghetti with all the fancy ingredients (yummy! tha's how I cook mine too!), make another sauce specially for him. His sauce takes like 5 minutes to make! LOL The stuffs that he likes takes very little time to prepare. If that's what floats his boat then it's a small price to pay. But do tell a story at the dinner table about the perils of food from the box.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 3:59 AM on May. 27, 2010

• LOL...I would tell him to go to his mama's house then and continue to cook the way you are.
    I'm from the northeast and my husband is a southern boy. His mother can't cook worth a hill of beans, but his Nannie cooks the best southern foods in VA...so I've heard...I don't like their foods, and yes, I've tried them.
    My husband likes my 'basic' cooking skills, but HATES casseroles and meatloaf....the things I'm best at...LOL.
    I don't cook much anymore, but he does, and it is difficult to come to a compromise sometimes. On nights when he's cooking something I think is gross I'll cook something I like for myself.
    Great thing is, our 3 daughters like the foods from both 'cultures' so they'll eat just about anything....lol.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:49 AM on May. 27, 2010

• This might not be helpful for your relationship (I doubt it would be, LOL,) but I would tell him that if he wants to eat inedible crap like his mother cooks, he can damn well prepare it himself. And that every time he complains about my cooking something properly, he just looks like a bigger idiot.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:07 AM on May. 27, 2010

• dig in your heels. tell him he can cook like his mother, you'll cook like yours. remind him that your food is not inedible, not that he'd notice the difference, and that he could show you some appreciation.
    i actually cook hotdog spaghetti for my husband because his mom did, sometimes. i think its gross but i'm about the little things. find a dish you are willing to do her way and do it. but don't do it until he starts appreciating what you do for him.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:14 AM on May. 28, 2010