Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeowners insurance and me, the renter...NO bashing please!

My main water line broke yesterday in my apt. I have a two story apt. The shower is upstairs and when I came downstairs yesterday am there was water saturated on the carpet outside of the bathroom and when I went into the bathroom I found water a half inch in it. The plumber told me the water came out of the potty downstairs. So I worked today and when the kids and I got home we where met with this wonderful aroma of raw sewage. I am finding safety in my 16 yr old sons room, so you know this has got to be bad. I want and need new carpet. I have rented here for 4 yrs and have been an excellent tennant. If I ask for new carpet will this be covered under the home owners policy? So afraid my rent will go up, but what can I do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

Answers (13)
  • Sounds like the landlords problem to me.

    Answer by BlooBird at 12:04 AM on May. 27, 2010


    Answer by lightbulbe at 12:04 AM on May. 27, 2010

  • do you have renters insurance?

    have you called the landlord yet? who payed 4 the plumber?

    Answer by hibbingmom at 12:38 AM on May. 27, 2010

  • The homeowners insurance policy should cover this, assuming he has the proper coverage in place. If you haven't contacted your landlord over this, you need to, immediately. Of course he will have to pay a deductible, but everything else should be covered, including the new carpet and padding. If he tries to get out of this, you need to take action because water from a toilet saturating the carpet and then being left is a serious health hazard, which is why insurance policies cover replacement. If it's clean water, they may want to replace the pad but try to dry and clean the carpets.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 27, 2010

  • homeowners policies dont cover sewage flooding, I know I had a sewage backup in my home during a bad rainstorm....if the landlord has flood insurance it will be covered....good luck!

    Answer by michaux at 9:28 AM on May. 27, 2010

  • First off you shouldn't be having to pay for a homeowners policy, you should have a renters insurance policy. There is a difference and it is CHEAPER!
    Second, the landlord is responsible for damage caused by the apartment itself.....granted you didn't cause a back up etc....but even then the cost should be split.
    Third, Renters only covers damages made to your belongings as a cause of anything really. They won't pay for carpet because it isn't yours.
    Call your landlord NOW because if you wait then it could be pinned on you for not saying something.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on May. 27, 2010

  • Michaux is right it will be only covered on the landlord's home owner insurance policy if he has flood coverage. If you have your own renter insurance this will not cover the carpets. Either way, it shouldn't matter. You need to contact the landlord and you need to let him know that the carpets have been ruined due to the water back-up. What he decided to do about it is totally up to him. He may replace everything, or he may get it cleaned, etc. There is no telling what your landlord will do. Being covered or not covered under HIS insurance is an issue HE will have to deal with. Sometimes as homeowners we have to make repair even if those repairs are not covered under insurance. If your landlord doesn't seem to want to fix the problem then it's time to move!

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:55 AM on May. 27, 2010

  • Our house we grew up in did the same thing and insurance refused to pay for it. You should haver renters insurance not homeowners, I don't even think you could get homeowners insurance since you are not the homeowner. I would talk to the Landlord and see what he/she could do.

    Answer by kc932 at 10:27 AM on May. 27, 2010

  • I need to correct something for you guys. Most policies WILL cover water damages from inside water sources, such as pipes and toilets. It will NOT usually cover water from outside sources such as creek overflow because that's consider flooding, and you'd have to have a flood policy. Her landlord's policy should cover the toilet overflow. If it doesn't, then he's got the wrong kind of coverage.
    OP, his policy will not cover any of your belongings if any were damaged. That would be covered under the tenant's renters policy.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on May. 27, 2010

  • It can't hurt to ask your landlord!

    Answer by mrsderekjeter at 4:23 PM on May. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.