Getting a child on SSI??

How do I go about doing this? My daughter has a seizure disorder and her doctor recommended putting getting her Social Security to help with hospital bills/ medicines/ etc. How do I go about doing this?

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 12:13 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Call the local social security office and they will set up an appointment for you and send you all the information you need so you are prepared.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:15 AM on May. 27, 2010

• GO OR CALL THE S.S. OFFICE !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 12:22 AM on May. 27, 2010

• And get a lawyer. Getting a child on SSDI is about 10x harder than an adult. And you don't wanna waste the next 2+ years of your life knee keep in appeal ppwk. Get some help, it's a tiresome process in more ways than one. You might think that since you have the dr's support, assistance, etc that it'll make the whole process easier, faster, more efficient. You're oh-so-wrong. It matters not, and you'll likely end up having to take your kiddo to a special social security dr any way.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:37 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I agree with hibbingmom. Be prepared for a long, tiresome road ahead. A lawyer will make it much easier for you to obtain necessary medical records, release forms, etc. I wish you good luck, and your precious daughter as well.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits_child_factsheet.htm

http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-child-ussi.htm

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:51 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I had no problems getting my daughter on SSI when she was 5 yrs old...it all depends on the proff you have that the person needs the SSI
    why waste time and money on a lawyer? when you get the pro rated check a lwayer will take 40% from it....lawyers are for a last resort! save the lawyer for when and if you get denied...chances are you won't if your child has enough medical files to open and end a claim
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on May. 27, 2010

• so say you get a lawyer...he ends up getting you 5 grand...well 40% of that goes to him...
    do it on your own and that check goes completely to your child
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on May. 27, 2010

• my daughter has ssi its easy and mine only took a few weeks just call and make an apt .
    ornene2626

Answer by ornene2626 at 1:22 AM on May. 27, 2010

• SSI lawyers will only see you once you've been turned down by SSI anyway. So there is no need to call until after you have already applied and been denied. If you have the proper papers you shouldn't have a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Thank you all for the advice. I called and made an appointment. Can you believe the next opening they have is June 23rd?!?!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:25 PM on May. 27, 2010

• you have to call the social security office and follow their directions. don't forget to go to the dr's office and sign a release form so they can send the requested records over to ss.,
    June 23rd? hmmm someone must have cancelled. Lucky you.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:02 AM on May. 28, 2010