Help! My 24 month old is eating threads from his clothes!!! What do I do??

My 2yr old son has an issue when he goes to bed. I catch him biting on his clothes- pulling out the threads. I would never be able to catch him But between the video monitor and the fact that I can clearly see on his clothes where he has pulled the threads out. His pediatrian says no big deal he'll grow out of it- but it's become an everynight issue and I don't know what to do and can't find anything on the Internet about it! Anyone have any suggestions??? I've gotten to the point where I have to go in a couple times telling him not to do it- and today he even took a nap without a shirt on ! Need some advise please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe try jammies made out of like that velour material stuff. It's thicker than cotton and harder to pull apart, I would guess. He will probably be hot and sweaty, but maybe if you just did it for a few weeks until he found out it didn't work anymore and forgot about it then you could put regular cotton back on him and he'd not really realize the change since you said he just turned 24 months and is still pretty young and just leave the old habit behind. Good luck! My kids have never done this, but both went through a hair pulling phase when they would get sleepy. They would literally pull on their own hair to try to keep themselves from falling asleep. Your son might be trying to find something to occupy him and keep himself awake rather than actually desiring to eat the threads since you said it only happens at nap and night. My pedi told me it was just a phase too and they'd outgrow it and thank goodness they did!
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 12:54 AM on May. 27, 2010

• My youngest son went through a blanket eating stage. He would shred blankets with his teeth, in his sleep! He went through a new blanket every few weeks, and there were little chunks of material and a bunch of thread in his poop. It was so bizarre, but it passed after a few months.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:10 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Well, it is getting to be summer time, it's as good as time as any to try having him sleep without a shirt to see how it goes.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:34 AM on May. 27, 2010