Do you think Sunday is a bad day for a birthday party for guests?

My family and I attend church regularly every Sunday, so the party would not be Sunday morning during typical church service hours, it would be later in the day from around 2:00-4:00, I'm thinking. Do you think that guests will still have a hard time making a party on a Sunday, as Sunday is sort of a "winding down" and resting day for many? We have always done our kids' parties on Saturdays, but my husband will be working Saturdays for the next 6 months (ahhh!) so Sunday is really our only option. I just don't want guests who want to be able to come to be discouraged at all about our day of choice. Have you hosted a party on Sunday and did it turn out well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We always do Sunday parties because hubby's family has to travel from about 45 minutes away. Most of them work 6 days a week so it is the only day everyone can come.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:22 AM on May. 27, 2010

• all of my daughters parties have been on Sunday b/c that is usually the day we are off work. We haven't had any problems.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 12:21 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I'm not a church goer so Sunday parties never bother me, but I do look twice at the invitation when we get invited to a Sunday party. I have a school age child so we've been to many and the turn out always seems to be fine. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on May. 27, 2010

• those hours i wouldnt see why it would be a problem.
    just make sure you start and stop on time.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:23 AM on May. 27, 2010

• my MIL is a pastors secretary and very churchy....... and my princess will be 4 this sunday. we didn't think anything of holding her party sunday afternoon/early evening. (it's her actual birthday) it's appropriate IMO
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:34 AM on May. 27, 2010

OP: Oh yes, I play the wrap it up game at all of our events! With all the prep before and cleaning afterwards I can't handle an all day birthday event! ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on May. 27, 2010

• As long as all your guests live in the area, I dont see it being an issue.

As a rule i don't like Sunday birthday parties though. My cousin who lives 2 hours away seems to ALWAYS have birthday parties on Sundays. So...if we go to the parties, we have to drive 2 hours there, hang out for 2 hours and then drive 2 hours back. And on Sundays its not like we can hang out longer because we have to get the kids back home to bed for school. So, the latest we could ever stay is 6pm during school....and I have SKs so its always an issue to have to ask BM if we can keep the kids.

Its just a pain for us, but I recognize there are times where Sunday is the only/best option available.

Just curious anon 36....what is the "wrap it up game"?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:42 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Just curious anon 36....what is the "wrap it up game"?

OP: Oh, just a silly slang way of saying I try to wrap things up as quickly as possible. I normally give guests about 30 minutes to arrive while the kids play games and have fun, after that if you're not there we start anyway, cake and food takes about 30 minutes, then I move onto presents and that takes about 30 minutes, then I have my kids start thanking guests and not really push them out the door or anything, since we don't want to be rude, but we make it apparent that the party is over and there's no more to see or do, haha. I have friends who have all day party events and I feel bad because I can never stay that long and end up leaving early and missing part of them, so with our's I've just always tried to be efficient in getting everything done quickly and smoothly so guests can leave when they need to without missing anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I dont go to church ever, but Sunday is like my sit back and relax day, if I were invited to a party for that day Id go but the chances of me actually being home are slim because Sunday consists of
    relaxing at my house
    relaxing at my moms house
    going to my sisters tournaments
    taking my son to his lessons
    etc
    just a fun lax day
    only because its the day before a hectic day tho...if you can get RSVP's then go for it
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:54 AM on May. 27, 2010

• OP: That's sort of how I feel about Sundays too. We normally do our church activities and then just have a relaxed day at home and sometimes go out to eat somewhere locally in the evening, so I can rest and don't have to cook, but that is about it most Sundays. That is why I am a little concerned about the party. I'm glad to hear so many responses saying that they would still go though and they are used to Sunday parties. That makes me feel a little better about it. I guess the number one guest to be there is Daddy, so if he can be there Sunday and not Saturday that is what counts, but I really enjoy our birthdays since they're always just big family and close friend get-togethers, so I hope that it doesn't discourage guests too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on May. 27, 2010