How old does my child need to be when starting preschool?

jemmom22

Asked by jemmom22 at 1:12 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it depends on the preschool. I worked at a preschool where there were some young ones there, like 2, but they had to be potty trained. but honestly that 2 yr old was not ready for preschool.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:17 AM on May. 27, 2010

• my daughter started preschool when she was 3....2 yrs of preschool then she started kindergarten
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:18 AM on May. 27, 2010

• My daughter was 3 too. And she also did 2 years of preschool before kindergarten. I think 2 is too young and 4 is the latest you can send a kid to preschool.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 1:51 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Most preschools start at 3 yrs old. Some have 2 1/2 yr old programs. Day cares will have programs starting much younger. Standard preschools (aka more 'academic' in terms of school prep and age appropriate learning not child care) are for 3 and 4 yr olds.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:29 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Our preschool (NOT daycare, but actual school) starts at age 3, as long as the child is potty trained. We have a 3yo class and a 4/5yo class. This fall DS will be in the 3yo class and DD wil be in the 4/5yo class as she's not ready for K.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Kiwi started shortly after her third birthday. It's all she wanted for her birthday that year, was to go to school, so on that day, we went and signed her up, and were told that there probably wouldn't be an opening until the following school year, but then a kid moved and they let her start in early March of that year. She was so happy. Here, it's 3, and potty trained, and go to Kindergarten at 5.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:55 AM on May. 27, 2010

• My daughter started preschool at age 2, but some don't start until 3. The 2 year olds did not have to be potty trained (my daugher turned 2 on 8/7, started school 3 weeks later) - they actually worked on it at school and my daughter was so into pleasing the teacher and being "ahead" of the other kids that she basically potty trained herself! She went 2 day/week, 4 hours/day. At 3 she went 3 days/week, 4 hours/day and at 4 she went 5 days/week, 4 hours/day.
    But it depends on the preschool - call the ones you are interested in and ask them!

Answer by missanc at 12:46 PM on May. 27, 2010

• In the miltary they star Pre-K at 4!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 4, 2010