I'M HUNGRY!!

:-) I'm trying to lose weight and it is kicking my butt! I eat well during the day, 6 small meals with all healthy and beneficial foods. But occasionally I have to stay up late to do homework (like tonight) and then I'm STARVING by the time I go to bed. Do I just have a midnight snack or deal with it? If a snack, what is "healthy" to eat at such a crazy hour?!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Snack on vegetables. They are low cal.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:25 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I agree, maybe vegghies with hummus dip, add some extra protein. whole grain crackers, nuts. stay away from sweets and carbs and you should be ok.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:36 AM on May. 27, 2010

• personally, I've had luck with garbanzo beans (I boil dry ones- not canned) and I eat other veggies too.
    I sometimes drink a protein shake at night, since the liquid is easily to digest- and I"m loosing weight.

but you need to be careful when selecting a protein shake- some are not healthy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on May. 27, 2010

• anon 211- oh, and btw- if I really feel that I need something 'real' I have a egg or two- you just need to make sure that whatever you cook it with is healty/low calorie. I use olive oil if I have the calories to spare, if I don't, then I use a no cal canola oil spray.
    abd no butter, I mix in mrs dash and things like basil for extra taste.

of course you could just boil the egg too-

I asked my acupuncturist the same question. He said that food that is easily digested is best, and he feels that eggs have a bad rep- that they are a well balanced food of protein and what he calls good fats and cholesterol- that and they are easy to digest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I'd suggest eating more fiber and protein at the last meal/snack of the day. Those two things will make you feel full longer. I enjoy a small bowl of All Bran cereal - watch portion size - as my last snack of the day, and it keeps me from being hungry until the next morning. It's got 10g fiber per serving and is a true high fiber cereal, not like the other cereals that claim to be high in fiber but only have 3 or 4g fiber.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:37 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I bought a big container of Metamucil a while ago, because I was having trouble using the bathroom. It's basically just a fiber supplement. I don't use it regularly anymore, but when I get a late night craving...I just make a drink of it. It fills me up. It's orange flavor and it's almost like a treat for me, because I drink basically nothing but water......just a suggestion.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:34 AM on May. 27, 2010

• are you eating enough calories during the day?

try adding more fibre and protein to your meals.

as a late snack, try veggies. i sometimes eat sugar free jello
    mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 10:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2010