what is the best fabric to use?

I really want to try making my son's bedding/deco for his room but I am not sure what type of fabric would be the best for this project, and ideas?

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 2:02 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Cotton or cotton/polyester is easy to work with. Is this your first sewing project?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on May. 27, 2010

• A cotton blend would be good, but if you go with 100% cotton it will shrink pretty badly. Make sure that when you go to the fabric store you "handle" whatever you're considering. Run it through your hands several times, and smash it and crunch it and then run it through your hands again....you want to make sure it's something REALLY comfy if it's for bedding. If you use fleece or thick fabric, it may be too hot for in the summertime, too.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 8:58 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Wash your fabric first this will make the fabric shrink before you use it for your comforter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Are you making a quilt? or What? Curtains? Do you have experience with sewing? I always purchase 100% cotton, I pre-wash and then the shrinkage is gone. Are you following a pattern? Tell a little more about this project.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:33 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I made a blanket with Rayon. It's not a thick blanket, it's more like a summer blanket. Thin, but not like a sheet. It's very cozy, light & very soft. Never thought i would make a blanket with Rayon, but it's actually a great blanket. We love it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:36 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I have some blankets made with cotton flanel on one side and satin on the other side that my kids love; the flannel is cozy and the satin is silky. If you are making a quilt I'd stick with cooton or cotton blend and prewash before cutting and sewing. If your son is a baby you might want to stick with 100% cotton or shop in the baby fabric section.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 27, 2010

• You can do a lot with sheets too-Even wall coverings, headboards, etc...I've made curtains out of sheets and pillowcases using iron-on fusible webbing to make the rod pockets.
    Have fun and please post pics when you are done.
    silverlb

Answer by silverlb at 10:26 AM on May. 27, 2010