Should I take some cooking classes

My SO does ALL of the cooking, when my mom needs advice she calls him, when dinner needs to be made i wait until he gets home because he doesnt want me experimenting with his tummy. lol

which is great, hey, whatever
but
i have a son, 6mos, i make his baby food which is so simple, puree everything
but when he gets older I want to be able to cook for him too, i dont want to have to heat something pre made by my SO because he works late 2-3days a week.

IDK
should I? I want to but I just dont know.
I love to bake, not cakes tho, but all other pastries thats my specialty
everything else is a dud...lol

ideas ladies?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 3:04 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Why don't you try buying some simple cookbooks and start practicing simple recipes? You really don't need anything more advanced to feed your family healthy and delicious meals. Watching cooking shows can also help you learn some skills. And if you ever need help, you can PM me, I'm a chef :)

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:45 PM on May. 28, 2010

• everyone has different things theyre good at, dont knock yourself down just because you arent the best at cooking dinner...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:06 AM on May. 27, 2010

• You could do what I did...watch food network. not the fancy shows, but watch like Rachel Ray, or Semi-homemade cooking with Sandra Lee. Also read cooking magazines (more interesting than cookbooks lol) like Taste of Home, or Cooking Light. I love those two.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:16 AM on May. 27, 2010

• If you want to cook, but you can't, get some easy to follow cook books, offer to help your dh when he makes dinner, and, if you want, take some cooking classes.

Personally, I think it's a good thing for everyone (men and women) to know how to cook, because you never know when you're going to need to be able to do it, so I think you wanting to learn is a good thing :-)

Good luck :-)

Oh - one other thing - while you're learning and trying new things, if your dh is afraid of you "experimenting on his tummy", you can always get something quick and easy to keep in the cupboard that you can use as a "backup dinner" if what you make doesn't turn out right :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:50 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I think you should know at least the basics and then experiment from there. That is how I learned. May I suggest that when your husband is cooking you watch him, ask him what he is doing if you don't understand, and then offer to help or have him teach you on simple things then work on to more creative tasks? Doing things together as a couple is wonderful for the marriage and you will learn something at the same time. Also, your husband might enjoy a break from cooking once in awhile. Don't aim for perfection, just pleasing the palate. When experimenting, think of flavors that might go well with each other. Ask your friends and family for simple recipes to begin with. Buy yourself a beginners cookbook. I bought a Betty Crocker cookbook back in the mid-80's and still use it today!
    You can do it!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:24 AM on May. 27, 2010

• If it's coming up with recipes that is your problem, you could use recipezaar.com, they have a rating system. When I get recipes online I will only go for 4 start and up reviews. A lot of the reviews will tell you if they substituted anything or if they used something a little extra. They always turn out good.

If giving the cooking all of your attention is the issue and you tend to burn things a lot, then possibly have your baby in the kitchen (away from anything dangerous), in like an exersaucer or something, or you might just have to give it a little more time until he can be a little more independent and self entertaining for a few minutes while you whip up some dinner. Young babies take a lot of time and focus, and sometimes cooking doesn't work out so well. Or you could do stuff in the crock pot. Throw it in in the morning and forget it until dinner time.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Yep! I'm a terrible cook, infact I BURN water given the chance. I'm starting to take some classes at a local place. I need it SOOO bad. Don't feel bad, plus it'll be some time for mommy to be out alone.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 9:04 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I think Everyone should learn how to cook. Get some cook books, make sure you read the reviews on any you order online to make sure they give detailed instructions and have a lot of recipes that you will actually use. I prefer buying mine at the store so I can skim through it and make sure I see several I want to try before I buy it.
    cfdm3s_mommy

Answer by cfdm3s_mommy at 9:06 AM on May. 27, 2010

• If you think that you need a class to help you cook and it's impossible to do it on your own, then YES. Go ahead what is wrong with it. I don't know how to cook either, but we get buy. My SO doesn't know how either. Oh our poor kids. We eat alot of raw veggies and fruit. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on May. 27, 2010

• You should absolutely give it a try! If a class is the best way, then go to one. I've been slowly s...l...o...w...l...y trying out recipes over the years because I suck at cooking. If your SO doesn't want you to experiment with dinner, cook at other times, earlier before he gets home, and don't rely on that for dinner, but have it for lunch or for yourself, and later for your LO as well. Good luck! I hope it works better for you than it has for me.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:06 AM on May. 27, 2010