How can your communication skills be strengthened?

1. Always be a part of big group
2. Participate in public speaking activities
3. Listen to talk shows

Indiamart

Asked by Indiamart at 6:30 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I also took a "speech and presentation" course in college--mostly to eliminate the remnants of my Boston accent!! LOL But it also focused on body language, posture, and organizing your thoughts and presentations! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:04 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I really don't think the first one "always be part of a big group" would help communication skills. When you are part of a large group, it's easy to sit back and let others do all the talking and because it's a large group, one's lack of participation isn't neccessarily noticed. So I'd change that to "be part of small groups"....in a small group it isn't so easy to "hide in the corner" so to speak, you're pretty much forced to participate, which means communicating your thoughts and ideas. Read...reading goes a long way towards increasing one's vocablulary. Writing papers on different subjects helps as it makes you focus your thoughts and ideas on one topic and requires logical, cohesive presentation. And as Loirkeet mentioned, a speech class. It will give you not only all that she mentioned but also PRACTICE in speaking so that you are more comfortable with it and so better able to focus and present your ideas.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:41 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I would add reading a lot, and staying off cm, until you have a good grasp. Reading inproper grammar is not going to assist you in your goal.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:58 AM on May. 27, 2010

• In the 70s, every undergrad student in my university had to complete and pass a public speaking and communication course, in or to earn a Bachelor's Degree.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:04 AM on May. 27, 2010