Terrible Twos: Two-year-old smokes two packs a day!

THIS is just so utterly disgusting I can't even think straight!

First, what would possess a parent to encourage their baby to smoke ONE cigarette, let alone allow it to get to the point where the kid smokes two packs a day?

Two, if you had the power to intervene in this situation, what would you do? How do you think this situation should be handled? This poor kid.

Article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1281538/Smoking-year-old-Ardi-Rizal-40-cigarettes-day.html

yakamoz

Asked by yakamoz at 7:44 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• His dad thinks he looks healthy, but I couldn't disagree more. Look at all of the other kids in the first picture and he looks nothing like them. They say that he can't even move around by himself because of the smoking habit and the toll it's taken on his body. If they don't have laws in Indonesia to remove children from that sort of abusive environment then I guess there is little one can do, except pray for common sense to hit his parents in the head like a clue x 4.

It's one thing to have kids with health issues beyond your control, but to contribute and cause the health issue is abuse.  His father will know his part when he is mourning his young son if something isn't done soon.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:07 AM on May. 27, 2010

• seriously? i didn't go to the link...just thinking it may be a bogus news item. that being said....
    yes, there are sick people in the world. i'd have the kid taken from the home..they take kids from parents for all kinds of offenses..why not this? i can't think of a better form of child neglect/abuse than to prompt one to smoke. an adult had to have started it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:15 AM on May. 27, 2010

• The father started it by encouraging his 18 month old son to smoke one cigarette. He thought it was cute. Now the 2 yr old throws tantrums if he can't get his cigarettes.

So? What 2 yr old doesn't throw tantrums? Parents don't have to give in and they shouldn't. I blame the parents that won't act like parents. They're going to kill that boy by being passive.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:29 AM on May. 27, 2010

• angry duh cigs are addictive, as much as heroin! why would any parent give their kid a cig as a joke! kid needs detox.

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:36 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Haha!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Yeah they shouldn't have let him start this to begin with, my son is almost two when he picks up daddy's cig. do i let him smoke it HELL NO! I make him put them down and tell him no they are bad. It is not cute or funny for a two year old to smoke. They need to take them away and let him throw his tantrums. He can't be that addicted maybe to the thought of it but not the cig. themselves. There is no way he is actually inhaling those things.

These parents are... insane and something needs to be done.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:43 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I'd call CPS
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on May. 27, 2010