Potty Troubles with a Three Year Old.

My 3yo son wears underwear during the day and diapers at night. Lately, he's taken to pooping during the night and not telling anyone. Then, in the morning, he's all sore and red. We've tried several approaches.. talking to him, rewarding him when we wakes up clean, trying to poop **before** he goes to sleep... Nothing seems to have any effect on him and I feel so bad for him when he's sore like this. Any suggestions?

nytefae

Asked by nytefae at 7:48 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I fell like I have done so much research on poop,, I could scream,, LOL! DS is now 5 and was so easy to potty train for #1,, but #2 was really hard,, here is what I have learned,, boys, for what ever reason, have a much harder time getting the signal to the brain that they "need" to go,,, they are also much more likely to ignore it when it does get there. I am not sure if your going to be able to get him to stop,, but I think you can get him to tell you as soon as he wakes up,, I would start a reward system that when he tells you he gets a sucker or a few M&M's. Butt Paste is a miracle product for being red and sore,,, I used to put some on before he went to bed,, I acted kind of like a barrier that prevented the #2 from being right on his skin and causing irritation. This too will pass,,,,but boys are funny with this,,,DS had an accident the other day and didn't tell me,,, he was TOO busy,,! LOL Good luck
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:07 AM on May. 27, 2010