Shaving question

My 11 year old daughter recently started shaving her legs. I just found out that she is also shaving her pubic hair. I asked her why and she said that she doesn't like the hair, it bothers her, and that a few of her friends told her that it is OK and they also do it. I never did this or heard of it when I was that age, or even now. But I do know that bikini waxing and shaving is very much in the media these days and these kids pick up on it there.
Have any of you experienced this? Is this the new normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Very normal. In fact, one of my friends teen son told her recently that so many girls shave that area that it would be a turn off to him if a girl didn't. (He's obviously a sexually active 16 year old.) But a lot of girls do it for sanitary reasons, they just like the way it feels better or because there's less to worry about when going swimming.

Answer by missanc at 9:24 AM on May. 27, 2010

• when i was that age i did shave my legs but not my pupic area. i didnt start shaving my pubic area until i was in my mid to late teens. and mainly because i didnt want my hair sticking out of my swim bottoms....i do think she is too young to be doing this. it could also be a sign that she maybe or maybe thinking about being sexually active. if you dont like it talk to her and tell her how you feel about it in a non threatening manner. but remember it is her body and its not like ti is something you can really check. i would have a heart to heart and also i think it is time for "the talk".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on May. 27, 2010

• My 11 1/2 daughter started shaving her legs too. I wanted her to wait a little while longer, but her legs were a bit hairy. LOL... As for shaving the pubic area, no I've never heard of a 11yo to do that. I don't know about that, but next time tell her to talk to you first before she goes out and does something to her body. Do you have a problem with it?
    Anonymous

• I think it is normal. Between the media, other friends and her being at that age where she is really starting to notice her body she is going to do things like this.. plus it is summer time. She may be embarrassed about the hair sticking out of her bathing suit.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:40 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I started shaving my pubic area when I started shaving my legs. I just didn't like it there, nobody told me to do it and nobody told me it wasn't ok. I never stopped shaving so therefore have never had pubic hair. I do think it is the *in* thing right now.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:46 AM on May. 27, 2010

• When I started shaving, I was 11. I shaved legs, pits, and the bikini line, basically the little area on the sides where I thought some might stick out of my bathing suit, and that was it. It wasn't until I was an adult, and had the man in my life suggest shaving that area that I even gave it any thought. I would then do it occasionally, but not often. After I had my youngest child, and they shaved me for the c-section, I discovered I prefer it to be completely shaved. Cleaner during my period, no more worrying about making sure it's nice and neat, or even, just shave it all off and done. I think it might be kind of young to be doing it, but if it makes her more comfortable, I guess it's not a problem. I would just talk to her and make sure she's doing it just for herself and not b/c someone else convinced her she should (not them saying it's ok, but them pushing her to do it).
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:57 AM on May. 27, 2010

• When I was 11, noone told me to or not to shave.No one told me HOW to shave or where to shave and what not to shave. I just picked up a razor and started doing it, having no clue as to what I was doing.
    I shaved my legs all the way up and into the sides of my pubic area but not the whole thing and I shaved my armpits AND my ARMS...yes..I shaved my arms! LOL. I really wish I had someone talk to me about things like shaving when I was growing up, I really could have used the advice :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I did at that age. I hated being on my period and getting all the (gunk) stuck in the hair. No matter how many times a day I showerd it would still be gross and stink. Once I started shaving I never had that issue again. Not a big deal just ask why she does it and make sure she is careful
    Anonymous

• In the shopping center down the street from my house a new store opened up called Brazilian Waxing by Debbie. They have these cute VW beetles they drive advertising Brazilian wax jobs. My 12 year old said to me the other day as we drove by, Mom can I get a Brazilian wax? I was shocked. I said definitely not! But it goes to show you how these kids are learning about these things. It's not just all over the media, it's now in a shopping center in your neighborhood.
    Anonymous

• I never heard of shaving that area until I joined CM and read posts. I was like....whaaaaaat? A young girl shaving there? WHY? No way. If the reason is a sexual one, then NO. I would never do it and I am a grown up. There has to be a better reason and I can't think of any. I prefer to be "natural". There must have been a reason for having the hair there. That's all I need to know. And ...think about the potential cuts...ouch. No way.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:02 AM on May. 28, 2010