Arrrggg...people calling for donations..

I got a call earlier, one of a million calls asking for donations for cancer foundations. I told the lady on the other line that I was busy and she said, "Oh I won't take up much of your time." When I said I couldn't talk, she keeps on talking so I hung up. I'm all for donating but I'm so sick and tired of people blowing up my phone asking for donations. I'm a little leary on donating over the phone because I don't know where all this money is going. How do I know they're not pocketing it? I have no clue how these people even got my number!! Anyone else get this? How do I get rid of them?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 9:56 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Could you get caller id? Then don't answer if it's not a number you don't recognize. If it's someone important, they'll leave a message.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 9:59 AM on May. 27, 2010

• They buy phone lists. It's like telemarketing. When they call, just say "no" and hang up. You can also get on the do not call list.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Oh, I don't get those. I am on the Do Not Call registry, but there are so many ways around that. If they keep calling, just stop answering the phone. I don't know how to make them stop.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:00 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I always hang up....they don't ever stop talking! I don't donate over the phone. I have a couple organizations where I know how the money is split and I know exactly where it's going to.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:04 AM on May. 27, 2010

• You tell them "Please take my number off of your calling list." They are obligated by law to take your number off of their list. Due to the new "No Call" law.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:31 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Oh and NEVER give a donation over the phone, especially if you don't know the person that is calling. Always give a donation to charities who are lagit and in person.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:32 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I use to do that for a living and we were very legit. I suggest you tell them to put your name on the do not call list. and also if you let your phone go to answering machine the computer will call back you in about 2 hours. I hated that job
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:41 AM on May. 27, 2010

• If it is a non-profit agency they can get around it.
    extremelibrary

Answer by extremelibrary at 6:27 PM on Aug. 29, 2010