how can I get my dd to go to summer school?

She'll only be going M-Th for 3 hrs. a day for 3 1/2 weeks. In July.
she's already telling me is not wanting to go and I tell her she needs to go to help freshen up what she missed during school hours. You should have been listening closely to your teacher. not to mention her teacher will be one of the teachers for SS. I told her if she did this I would get her a surprise.(but what)??? I have to make her go or she will be struggling she will be a 2nd grader next yr. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on May. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You sign her up and make her go. You are the parent and she is the child - if you want her to go she shouldnt have a choice in the matter.
    aritoyh

Answer by aritoyh at 10:59 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Make her go and she'll get over it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:15 AM on May. 27, 2010

• My opinion on it is, you are the parent she is the child and she has to do what YOU tell her to do whether she wants to or not so it really shouldn't be a matter of getting her to go or not.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 10:16 AM on May. 27, 2010

• OP here... You don't know my daughter she will cry & cry & cry it just depresses me. I don't want to give in to her I am in charge here!!! I just don't feel like going through all that drama:(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Your the parent. Make her go. Don't let her tantrums hold you back from forcing her to go. Be the adult in this situation and send her on her way. Oh and don't bribe her .. Promising her things, especially when you have no idea what, is a horrible habit to start. Then you're teaching your child that it's only worth doing things if you get something in return. That's a horrible lesson.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:23 AM on May. 27, 2010

• She knows the drama bothers you, so she plays into that. She's learning that all she has to do is either throw a fit, or just act like she is going to and you'll offer her stuff to keep her behaving and get her to do what you want. Tell her she's going, and that's the end of it, no discussion, and when July gets here, and she throws a fit, take her screaming to school, leave her, and she'll see that the fit won't work. Don't bribe, don't let her scare you off with the threat of tantrums. Be the grown up and put your foot down, make sure she knows that you expect her to stop the crazy behavior, and you won't accept it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:28 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Just drop her off and leave. Does she cry when you drop her off during the regular year? I'm betting she will only do it a couple of times and she will be fine. Don't make it sound like a punishment....make it sound fun!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:29 AM on May. 27, 2010

• She might even like it. My son went 2 years ago and liked it! And he hated school.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:38 AM on May. 27, 2010

• you get depressed when your daughter cries cuz she doesn't get what she wants? Lord help you when she becomes a teenager then!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 27, 2010

• You will not do well trying to bargain with a second grader. You don't say "IF" you go. You tell her that she will have to go to summer school this year for the help she needs in keeping up with things. At the end of summer school you can take her to the Dollar Store for some goodies, for a special lunch or a day trip to celebrate her finishing. I don't think it lasts the whole summer. She will get a break before school starts again. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 11:06 AM on May. 27, 2010