Lying on your back during pregnancy question..HELP!!

I'm 4 1/2 mos pregnant and desperately want to sleep through the night. Is it ok if I lie on my back in a recliner? I'M SOOOO TIRED of endless nights of no sleep because of my body aches! HELP

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 10:33 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I know how you feel! Sometimes I wake up on my back in the morning and I freak out,lol. Its supposed to decrease the flow of oxygen to the placenta. The recliner should be fine though because you won't be totally flat your back, as long as your at least slightly elevated you should be fine. With my first I practically slept every single night in a recliner.I have been putting a pillow under me at night just to at least keep me slightly turned to the left or right and not completely flat.
    Hope you get some good sleep soon!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:36 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I asked the doc yesterday about this exact same topic.
    The only comfortable position is on my back, and it isn't good for you or the baby because your main blood supply runs down your back.
    The nurse said to prop myself up or be in a recliner and don't lay square on your back, rather tilted to one side or the other, but you don't have to be completely on your side.
    The problem is, is that your uterus and the baby creates pressure on the blood supply and it can cause lack to you and your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Has your dr. told you not to sleep on your back?If not, then go for it.But of course as the baby gets larger you will need to sleep on your side.
    Anonymous

• When I was pregnant,I did sleep in the recliner for the same reasons.And everything went well and he was healthy.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:38 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Laying on your back is prefectly fine, if slanted a bit pillows help there. Laying on your side they say is best to help cause less pain. As your stomach grows it may become harder and harder to sleep on your back. A recliner seems like a great solution, and if you're comfortable then by all means sleep on the recliner.

Pillows and lots of them, help as well. Place where needed. You can also take a tylenol before bed if you're really achy. Another thing is to make sure you're very well hydrated. You can get aches if you're lacking water... drink to much soda and such. : )

Good luck and congrats.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 10:44 AM on May. 27, 2010