what would you do? night training

My daughter will be 3 tomorrow... she has been day trained since 19 months and naps in underwear with no problems. She wakes up dry in the morning sometimes, but not usually. (She sleeps in a night pull-up). A couple of nights ago she demanded underwear for bed, and I let her because I really can't see saying no to that. She was so sweet with it, too, she said, "mommy, I WILL be dry, I CAN stay dry, you will be so proud!" So I woke her up and took her to the potty before I went to bed at 11 and then she was dry in the morning. The next night, she had forgotten so when I offered the pull-up she put it on without a word about it. I didn't wake her to take her to the potty, and she was wet in the morning. Should I just put her in underwear and take her to the potty before I go to bed, or should I just wait until she's dry in the morning more predictably? Or just let her choose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• restrict liquids for an hour before bed and then take her to potty before she goes to sleep. YOu shouldn't have to wake her up to go. My DD has been night trained for 6 months. When I give in to her needing a drink before bed, she always has an accident. Just make sure that you take her as soon as she wakes.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:27 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I should add that she just turned 3 and sleeps for 1011 hours a night.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:28 AM on May. 27, 2010

• *10-11
    Jademom07

• "mommy, I WILL be dry, I CAN stay dry, you will be so proud!"

A 19 month old said this? Really? I find that hard to believe. Maybe you filled in some of the words because you knew what she meant?

You're her mom and would know better than us if she's ready for night time undies or not. I think I'd put her in a night time pull up until she's 2 and has a little more control of her bladder during sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Read the WHOLE thing again Anon. Her DD is 3 and has BEEN TRAINED since 19 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Oh, thank you for explaining that. I thought that didn't sound right at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 27, 2010

• My DD is 3.5 yr old and still sleeps with a pull up. It doesn't interfere with her daytime potty habits, so I don't see a problem with it. My DD likes to take water to bed and drink some during the night. I'd rather her stay hydrated than worry about her keeping dry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 27, 2010

• OP here: Yes. She's turning 3... She never drinks anything at all after dinner, and she always pees right before bed. That's been the routine all along... She is just one of those kids whose night bladder control is coming a bit later. She always wet during naps, too, until a month or two ago. (Whereas her little sister, who is 20 months and also day trained, wakes up dry about 6 out of 7 mornings already). So our 3 year-old has asked to wear underwear to bed before, and I have let her and not woken her to go, and almost every time she has had an accident in the night. Once she even had a dry pull-up for 4 nights in a row, so the next night she slept in underwear and had an accident. I finally just decided to keep up the pull-up until she was never having accidents anymore... it's just with the way she asked, she seemed to want it so much. I thought maybe waking her and taking her could help her do it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Keep her in the underwear. Wearing the pullup just tells her that it's okay to pee. Just get some plastic to put on her bed under the sheet if she's not on a plastic crib mattress, and you'll only have to wash the sheet and plastic when she has accidents. Keep waking her up when you go to bed, but every few days wake her up a little earlier and she'll get used to holding it longer, and make sure she pees right after waking.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:17 PM on May. 27, 2010