Is this really what people think?

I was at the library with my two daughters and my little one is 20 months and potty trained. When we're out of the house, especially, she still needs some reminders from me so she won't have an accident. Anyway, there was another mom sitting close to us when I told my girls it was potty time, and I specifically addressed my little one. The mom struck up a conversation with me about the ages of my kids and ended up saying, "I just don't understand why no one wants to let their kids be kids, everyone's in such a hurry to make them grow up." I guess I just don't understand why potty training has become associated with "big kid" stuff.. why let a child sit in poop unnecessarily? I totally agree we shouldn't force our kids to grow up too soon.... what on earth does that have to do with potty training? If a child can eliminate in the potty, isn't it just more pleasant and hygienic for everyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with you. If a child is showing interest in potty training, then the parent should act on those cues. That is the child making the decision. Now if a parent was pushing it, then thats a different story.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:34 AM on May. 27, 2010

• You can't exactly say hey look at you baby boy/girl you went potty ... Just doesn't sound right since babies wer diapers.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 11:35 AM on May. 27, 2010

• My oldest potty trained late because she regressed when her brother was born and then regressed a 2nd time when her sister was born. I've been really laid back about it because her pediatrician thinks you should let kids potty train when they're ready. If your little one was ready for the potty before 2 yr old, then that's great and that has nothing to do with forcing her to grow up.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:37 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I agree with you. I don't see what the big deal with a kid who potty trains early. some kids learned thing faster then others and you shouldn't have to hold your child back just because society thinks they are to young to use the potty. If your childis showing signs that they are ready for the potty then its time to potty train. My ds just turned one and he is already taking off his diaper and running to the potty. so I am gonna buy him a potty and start to train him.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:37 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I didn't push her, I definitely followed her cues... but then again, while I did take her lead, I also definitely nudged her along... She wanted to sit on the potty like her sister when she was as young as 16 months old, and she was already sometimes waking up dry after long naps at that point, so by 17.5 months we were in underwear all day long. We definitely had some rocky moments where she wasn't too keen on the potty, but I wasn't about to let her go back to diapers since I had already seen she could do it. That's why she's trained now... I think a lot of parents kind of start but then back off at the slightest resistance (which is normal in any new thing), even when the child was showing signs they were ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on May. 27, 2010

• Good for you! There is nothing wrong with a 20 mo old potty training!!! Mine was potty training at 18 mos when she showed curiousity in the potty! I never had anyone say anything... I do have people say "kids should be kids" all the time but never rudely toward me and I simply agree! They should but when thy are ready to do new things we shouldn't say "no... I don't think your ready!"
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:33 PM on May. 27, 2010

• i think its great that ur 20 month old is using the potty. i have a 3 yr old and a 19 month old my 3 yr old is potty trained and im hoping my daughter will be soon
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 3:00 PM on May. 27, 2010

• People are just silly sometimes. I think it' great and I agree with you! :o)
    Marshallsmom422

Answer by Marshallsmom422 at 3:06 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I agree. They are ready to potty to train when they are ready. If that's at 18 months, so be it. It's not like you put thong underwear on her. From my experience, I don't think you can push a child to potty train early.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:00 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I'm HUGE on letting children be children. But I don't think potty training has anything to do with that. As long as it isn't "forced" there's no big deal. People do elimination communication from birth and never have babies in diapers, doesn't mean that they're still not babies. My sister adopted a little girl (18 mo) from Ethopia and she came home and pointed to herself when she had to go pee. Should you just ignore that because you want to keep them from growing up? That's just silly.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 6:23 PM on May. 27, 2010